Poha (flattened rice) : 2 cups
Vegetable oilÃ‚Â : 2 tbsps or, as per your requirement
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Curry leaves : 5-6
Green chillies slit lengthwise : 4-5
Large onionÃ‚Â : 2 thinly sliced
PotatoesÃ‚Â – 1 large sliced very thin
Tomato – 1 large, thinly sliced
Cabbage – 1/2 cup very thinly sliced
Carrot – 2 pieces grated
Cauliflower – 6 to 7 small pieces
Green peas – 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Lemon – 1
Handful of unsalted peanuts (roasted)
Pinch of turmeric powder
Garam masala powder 1/2 Tsp
Sugar – a pinch
Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium flame and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies. Fry till the spluttering stops and then add the onion. Fry till they are slightly browned.
- Add the peanuts and potatoes, now stir frequently, cook for 2-3 minutes, so that the potatoes are medium cooked.
- Now add cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, green peas, tomatoes, turmeric powder and salt. Cover the kadahi with a lid and cook for 4-5 minutes on low flame with regular stirring. Check if all the vegetables are done. Keep a check that all the vegetable are not overly cooked and softened.
- Put the poha in a sieve and wash under running water for 2 minutes and drain.
- Once the potatoes and all vegetables are cooked well, add the drained poha with garam masala and a pinch of sugar.
- Gently mix well to blend the ingredients while not crumbling the poha. You may turn off the heat till you mix the ingredients, if required.
- Turn the heat on again to medium-low. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the heat off. Add lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well gently.
- Garnish with more lemon, coriander leaves, or Sev and enjoy! You can sprinkle a pinch of Jeeraman masala, if you choose to (It is a kind of masala like chat masala) as garnish.