Khichdi with onion and garlic!
Khichdi is an authentic recipe and has its own ingredients and a unique method of preparing.
While I believe in experimenting a lot with almost all of my recipes, I never felt the need to do that with the rice and dal khichri. I always felt it was not worth it and since I did not want to loose the original taste and flavor of the real khichri, which my grand ma, mother and aunts used to make, I never really did anything with that recipe.
But at the same time, like you all know.. I strongly believe that COOKING IS AN EXPERIMENT.
So this time round I thought why to leave this recipe from experimenting. Why not try something with the original recipe so that I have something that is a variety of the original khichadi recipe. And that is what I did in today’s recipe.
Though I won’t say that the experimented khichdi is more tasty than the real khichdi which my mom makes, I can safely say that both khichdi has it’s own tastes and both tastes real good.
This recipe has a nice aroma and a flavor of garlic which gives it an altogether different taste. So enjoy the recipe.
- Rice - 2 cup
- Masoor Dal - 1 1/2 cup
- Onion - 2 (thinly sliced)
- Tomatoes - 2-3 (chopped)
- Ginger - 1/4 tbsp
- Garlic - 1 full (finely chopped)
- Bay leaf - 2 nos
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - handful (finely chopped)
- Ghee - 3-4 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Whole Dry Red Chili - 2 nos
- Salt - as per the taste
- Heat oil in a pan/kadhai and fry masoor dal until the nice aroma comes.(keep stirring in between to avoid getting it burnt)
- Once done turn off the flame and let it cool down.
- Now wash dal and rice together.
- In a pressure cooker add rice, masoor dal, turmeric powder, tomato, ginger, bay leaf and salt.
- Add the water as per needed and close the lid.
- Cook this mixture until one whistle and then turn off the flame. Do Not release the pressure.
- Let the pressure cooker cool down by itself.
- Open the lid of the cooker.
- Now take a big open mouth vessel add the cooked rice and dal mixture to it.
- Heat water in a small vessel.
- Add it to the cooked rice and dal mixture as per the required consistency.
- And let it boil on a medium flame stirring in between.
- In the meanwhile heat ghee in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and the broken red chilli to it.
- Fry until brown.
- Add the chopped garlic and saute for few minutes.
- Now add the sliced onion and fry until golden brown.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add this tempering to the rice dal mixture and mix well.
- Serve hot along with and coriander chutney, spoonful of ghee pickle, papad or any side dish of your choice.
Please do take a little time to comment on the recipes, as your feedback means a lot to me. And don’t forget to share the recipes on your favorite social networks sites.