Ingredients (Serves: 6)
1 Kg: Green Brinjal( sliced into long pieces),
If unavailable, you can use the normal small brinjals.
Panchforan ( or cumin seeds) – 1/2 tsp
8 clove garlic (chopped)
Mustard oil – 6tbsp
2 Bay leaves
2 Dried red chillies
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves
½ tsp turmeric
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp: Red chilli powder
Method – Preparation time = approx 20 minutes:
- Heat the oil in karaahi (a deep frying pan) and add panchforan seeds,bay leaves and dried red chillies to it.
- As soon as panchforan starts to splutter, put the brinjal in the oil and cover the lid of karaahi and cook for two or three minutes on high flame .
- Now reduce heat and add turmeric and salt to it then cover it again for 2 minutes.
- Then add all the powdered masalas and garlic paste and mix very gently so as not to break the vegetables .
- And Cook the brinjal till it gets tender and its starts looking red,and the oil will start to float on the surface. This usually takes 10 minutes.
- Take the pan off the fire and garnish with chopped coriander leaf, and serve with rice and ‘arhar ki dal’ (A simple curry made of yellow lentils).