1 Cup Urad daal without skin (black lentils)
1 teaspoon ginger
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
Ingredients for Dahi :
4 cups fresh yogurt
1 teaspoon Black Salt (Kala Namak)
1 teaspoon freshly roasted and powdered cumin powder
2 teaspoons sugar
Salt and Red chilli powder to taste
Finely chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Clean, wash and soak the daal overnight.
- Grind the urad dal with salt and ginger, adding just enough water to make into a thick and smooth paste.
- Heat oil for deep frying on a medium flame. Grease your palms with oil and put 1 tbsp of the lentil mix in your palm.
- Make into a donut shape (these are the vadas), Slide each vada into the hot oil and fry till light golden.
- Now heat a big broad pot of water; once hot turn off heat. Add the VadaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s to the hot water. DonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t add too many at a time. Give enough space for the VadaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s to breathe, as they tend to expand more in water.
- Keep in water for about 5 minutes or until they are soaked. Take the VadaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s out and very gently squeeze them to take the excess water out. DonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t squeeze them too much to make them flat. Once all the VadaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s are soaked, set them aside.
- Soaking the VadaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s in water makes them soft and fluffy and juicy, they also tend to absorb the yogurt well when soaked in them.
How to serve:
1). whisk the yogurt(curd) and little water until it is smooth.
Keep in refrigerator for an hour to get chilled and add 1/2 table spoon salt, red chili powder and cumin powder.
2). Place the VadaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s in a serving bowl and pour the yogurt mixture evenly over the VadaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s, covering them completely.
3). Sprinkle red chilli powder and roasted cumin powder and garnish with chopped coriander leaves .