“Anybody Can Make Donuts”!
Homemade Donuts Recipe?
Not that you would have thought that you cannot. At least in India, making Donuts seems like a daunting task especially because of the time it takes and also the messing around with dough, yeast etc.
I still remember the first time I had donuts at one of the malls in Bangalore. That day I felt it was something I could never have again. I was not able to swallow even one bite of it. It was that bad in taste.
You might be thinking as to why I am sharing a Donuts recipe and that too a homemade donuts recipe, when I myself don’t like it. Hmm, I will tell you why??????
One of my friend had come down to Bangalore with her sister and we had plans of meeting them at the same mall, which also is one of the most happening places in Bangalore. My friend’s sister is crazy about Donuts and she insisted on trying the donuts from MOD (Mad over Donuts). At first, I was hesitant on trying donuts again but then I thought why not give it a try again since it was not going to be from the same store.
And this time, I was simply amazed at the taste of the donuts. It tasted heavenly, and I could not stop myself at one. I felt like eating one more but by the time I could reach the plate filled with donuts, it was over 🙁 .. thanks to my daughter and husband.
Though I could have had ordered it again for myself , I resisted myself from overeating (pat on my back.. LOL).
And that was the day. I became a fan of “MOD Donuts”.
Homemade Donuts Recipe – How to Make Donuts at Home!
Last Saturday it was my Brother-in-law’s birthday and I thought, what could be better than making donuts on that special occasion and surprising him. I had one old recipe book which had homemade donuts recipe in it and that recipe made use of yeast.
I took to the kitchen and tried to make donuts using yeast on Saturday, and it turned out to be a horrible one. It’s not that we should not use yeast for this recipe, it’s just that in our case, the yeast was not activated properly though I kept the dough to rest for about 3 hours.
Probably the milk was not warm enough for yeast to get activated. Hence the donuts did not turn out well.
I then decided to make it again on Sunday. And this time, I did not add yeast to it. Instead I added egg and baking powder.
The best thing about this was that it took less time to make it and that too without compromising on the taste. This recipe is very easy to make as most of the ingredients being used in the recipe are easily available at home.
I really enjoyed making this recipe, since it’s really fun glazing it, decorating and designing the donuts of your choice.
So let’ jump onto the recipe video….
- All-purpose flour - 300 gm
- Sugar - 1/2 Cup
- Egg - 1
- Butter - 15gm melted
- Milk - 1/2 Cup
- Vanilla extract - 5-7 ml
- Baking powder - 20 gm
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- For Glazing and Decoration: To be used as per you choice and need
- Melted Brown Chocolate
- Melted White Chocolate
- Icing Sugar
- Vermicelli candies
- Put the eggs and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat until you get a thick and fluffy combination.
- Gradually add the butter, milk and vanilla and mix everything well.
- Now add all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt to it and mix the dough until everything is well combined. The dough will be soft and sticky.
- Keep adding little amounts of all purpose flour until you are able to finally knead it into a soft dough.
- Continue to knead the dough until it is smooth and fluffy.
- Now divide the dough into 2 or 3 portions depending upon the size of your rolling board.
- Roll it flat until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out your donuts using Donut Cutter or, a tumbler and a bottle cap for the inner cuts.
- Spread some flour on a butter paper placed in a tray and keep your Donuts in it.
- Fry your donuts in medium heat until slight golden.
- Place them on a tissue paper to soak off the oil. Once you are done.
- It's time to glaze your donuts.
- Take some melted chocolate and slowly dip one side of the donuts in it.
- Then place them on a butter paper in a tray.
- You can use melted white chocolate as well to glaze your donuts.
- Now decorate them as you wish.
- I used some crushed gems, chocolate chips, candy chips and icing sugar.
- So the homemade donuts are ready to serve.Enjoy!!!
MY PICKS FOR THIS RECIPE
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support. ????