Masoor ki dal is a variant of the many dal varieties that are available and is unique primarily because of the flavor that it gives the dal. People who like dal makhni are sure to like masoor ki dal as well, just like my husband. He likes it with mango ginger pickle which adds to the taste of the dal because of the mango flavor in it. It gives a slight souriness to the dal.
- Masoor Dal-1 Cup
- Small Onion- 1 finely chopped
- Ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Green chilli – 4 chopped
- Turmeric Powder- 1/4 tsp
- Garlic Cloves- 6 finely chopped
- Cumin Seed – 1 tsp
- Kasturi methi-1 tsp
- Coriander leaves- finely chopped
- Vegetable oil-2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Heat vegetable oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds. When it starts spluttering add chopped chillies, garlic and ginger.
- When it is slightly brown add onions, turmeric powder and salt keep on stirring until onions become golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and stir for 2 to 3 minutes again.
- Wash the dal properly and transfer it into a pressure cooker. Add water as required and cook till 5 to 6 whistles of the pressure cooker.
- Open the lid of the pressure cooker once it cools down and add Coriander leaves and kasturi methi to it.
- Masur ki Dal goes well with plain rice.