The Red Velvet Cake Recipe was submitted by a guest author. If you have a recipe that you will like to see on our blog here, then you can read the guest posting guidelines and reach out to us for more details.
Image Courtesy – Wikimedia
A Red Velvet Cake never fails to entice us. From its gorgeous deep shade of red to the yummilicious butter-cocoa flavour, everything is inevitably appealing about this cake.
I am sure you are going to love it because it is coming just in time for the Valentine’s day. Let the Valentine’s day mood fill the air and this Red Velvet Cake will help spread the red color in the air.
But the newly found stardom of Red Velvet paves its way back to 1940s when it was first brought to kitchen by Adams Extract Company in Gonzales.
Though the Red Velvet cake has changed a lot over the last few years, the basic essence has remained the same. The way the cake get’s its red color has also changed over years and most people use coloring agents these days. But if you prefer the old school way of bringing the Cyanin color to the cake, then you can try that as well.
Red Velvet Cake Recipe
Baking Red Velvet can be quite fun and festive because of its beautiful combination of red and white. And here we present the Red Velvet Cake recipe to calm your senses with its delicious taste that you can try anytime at home and make your loved ones drool over it.
- 2 ½ cups flour sifted
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- ½ cup butter or oil at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder divided
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons red food colouring
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Ermine icing or other fluffy white icing
- Preheat oven at 350? Fahrenheit. Butter three 9 inch cake pan lightly and sprinkle 1 tablespoon sifted cocoa powder, tap pans gently to coat it evenly and discard the extra cocoa.
- Now, cream the butter and sugar together. Add 2 eggs, one at a time and beat them vigorously until each is incorporated. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Tip : What sets red velvet cake apart from chocolate cake is its buttery flavor. So, instead of oil, it’s good to use butter to retain the buttery flavor and preventing the cake from settling down.
- Take a separate bowl and make a paste of 2 tablespoons of cocoa and the food coloring. Blend this paste into the butter mixture.
- Sift all the remaining dry ingredients together. Alternating in two batches each; add the buttermilk and dry ingredients to the butter mixture. In the last batch of buttermilk, mix in the vinegar before adding to the batter. Keep on mixing until its blended.
- Divide the batter in three pans and bake for nearly 20 to 25 minutes. When it’s done, let it cool completely on the rack.
- Now, it’s time to assemble. Remove the cake from the pan and drop 1 cup of icing over the flat surface and spread evenly. Now remove the second cake from the pan and place on top of the first layer. Follow the same process with the third cake layer. Cover the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting.
- Garnish the cake with white chocolate and cake crumbs.
This cake is a not a universal obsession for no reason. It tops the list of all cake lovers for its distinct flavours. In case you are running out of time to bake one, fret not!
Order a freshly baked Red Velvet Cake from Bakingo, a trusted online bakery that makes online cake delivery in Gurgaon and enjoy scrumptious treats at all times!