It was during one of my first visits to Kerala that I saw a lot of small green shiny ball shaped seeds clinging onto the trunks of a lot of trees. At first I couldn’t understand what it was but a closer look told me that it was pepper. It was then that my husband told me about the many different spices that are grown in Kerala. I could then deduce the reason for the low prices of most spices.
But the fact that with changing times and the shrinking green blanket in the state, the cultivation of most spices have also taken a beating. But one thing that I could still find being grown in some of the houses was “Pepper”.
There is a belief in some of the houses that growing pepper helps in purifying the air. I am not sure of how much of truth that statement has but I know for a fact that there are a lot of other benefits of pepper.
So in this post I am going to tell you about 18 Health Benefits of Black Pepper, most of which I am sure you would not have known about just like me.
- Anti-biotic properties: Black pepper contains Vitamin C which curbs harmful free radical reactions.
- Fights cough and cold: Due to its antibacterial properties, black pepper is one of those spice which acts as a remedy for cough and cold. It can also be used for treating respiratory disorders.
- Prevents gas problems: Black pepper generates hydrochloric acid as an alert before food consumption and hence it makes the digestion process easy and also prevent diseases related to the intestine and stomach.
- Treat Bacterial infections: Black Pepper helps in the treatment of diseases that are caused by bacteria and also helps in treating constipation, diarrhea and colic conditions.
- Relieves from Flu and congestion: Black pepper provides relief from sinusitis asthma and nasal congestion. Black Pepper is extremely effective in getting rid of flu by inducing sweating which in turn helps remove mucus that is accumulated in the chest and nose.
- Free radical suspension: It generates free radical killing action that curbs the cancerous activities in the body.
- Boost Metabolism: Black pepper helps burning unwanted calories and helps in reducing belly fat. Black pepper is very effective for weight loss and daily consumption of black pepper also helps in reducing stomach related problems.
- Promotes healthy skin: Consumption of black pepper in diet helps to improve skin condition. Black Pepper helps in treating numerous skin problems since it has some good properties.
- Cures Tooth Ache: Mixing black pepper in salt can help in curing tooth aches. It helps fight tooth decay and also helps in curing the problem of tooth sensitivity.
- Natural Anti-depressant: Piperine present in black pepper acts as an anti-depressant and stimulates the nervous system. Treatment with black pepper improves cognitive function.
- Vitiligo Cure: The principal chemical compound in black pepper, Piperine, can act as alternative medicine in treating many skin ailments and infections such as vitiligo.
- Treats wrinkles: Due to its anti-oxidants properties black pepper helps your skin by protecting it against symptoms of premature aging such as wrinkles, fine lines and dark spots. So add black pepper to your daily diet and see the amazing effects.
- Cancer Prevention: Black pepper can prevent or repair the damage caused by free radicals in the body and hence prevent cancer, cardiovascular diseases and liver problems.
- Exfoliation: Scrubs made of crushed black pepper can help remove dead skin cells and exfoliate it. Since it removes all the toxins from your skin, it looks soft and radiant. Black pepper also aids in promoting blood circulation, thus improving oxygen supply and nutrients to the skin. It also helps prevent acne, thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Dandruff Treatment: Black pepper is best for dandruff treatment. The combination of yogurt and pepper is one of the best methods to cure dandruff.
- Hair Revitalization: Black pepper also helps in revitalizing your hair, making it shiny and soft.
- Work as a brain tonic: Black Pepper also makes a good brain tonic . Just shallow fry some Brahmi leaves in desi ghee and add Black Pepper and little sugar. This mixture can be taken regularly to promote the power of the brain.
- Good for eyes: Regular consumption of Pepper powder with some honey acts as a boon for better vision.
A Word of Caution:
- For Patients who have undergone abdominal surgery should not use excess pepper since it can have an irritating effect on the intestines.
- If you are allergic to Black pepper then, discontinue its use and consult a doctor.
- Pepper may cause sneezing.
If you found this post useful, please do take a little time to comment, as your feedback means a lot to me. And pin it or share it with your Facebook fans or Twitter followers or Google+ circles today. All it takes is a simple click on the “pin it” “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post. It will keep me motivated. 🙂 Thank you!