This Onion Pakoda Recipe is a fusion recipe that is cheesy and tasty as this snack demands it to be. This recipe is a great tea time snack and can also be packed for kid’s lunch box.
This Tasty Fusion recipe was submitted by a guest blogger – Geeta.
Onion Pakoda is a famous Indian snack or side dish. We just love this snack especially with tea or on a weekend night or as a snack.
My son loves cheese as all the kids do. So one day I thought of giving a twist to the Onion Pakoras with cheese and everyone in my family loved it.
Ingredients in this Onion Pakoda Recipe are:
- I have used gram flour which is the main ingredient of the bhajia.
- I have added 1 tsp rice flour to the batter to make the bhajis crispy.
- Usually cooking soda is added to the bhajis to make it light but I do not prefer adding it. I have added 1 tsp hot oil to the batter which will make the pakoras crisp. and somehow compensate for cooking soda as well.
- The batter has Indian seasoning like-red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and lemon juice.
- After peeling the onions, I washed and sliced the onions but I did not separate the rings. Use it as it is, and season them with little Italian herb, salt, and red chili flakes.
- I have used shredded mozzarella cheese as the stuffing between two sliced onions. However, you can use grated processed cheese also. On the cheese layer, I have put a 1/4 tsp tomato ketchup also to enhance the stuffing taste.
- I have served Onion pakora with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
- Make sure that you do not slice the onion too thick because we are using 2 onion slices in one Pakoda.
- Do not deep fry the bhajis on high flame or low flame. When you put the bhajis into the pan for frying, the oil should be hot and fry on medium flame. When Bhajis are almost done, put the flame to low and fry for 1-2 minutes more on both sides until done.
- Coat the stuffed onion slices well with the batter before you deep fry it so that the cheese does not come out.
- You can make it spicier by adding more chili powder or black pepper powder.
- We can serve these cheesy Onion Pakoras with Tea. Put these Pakoras between 2 pieces of bread and eat like a sandwich.
- Serve with tomato ketchup or green chutney.
- You can put the bhajis on roti and make a roll.
We make classic Indian pakoras by combining gram flour, spices, thinly sliced onions, and deep-frying them.
There are plenty of pakoras that we make:
Palak or spinach bhajia
Potato or aloo bhaji
Find more delicious recipes at my website Geeta Ki Duniya
Onion Pakoda Recipe
- 2 Onion medium-size (peeled and sliced)
- 1/4 tsp Italian or Mixed Herb Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Red Chili Flakes
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Gram Flour
- 1 tsp Rice Flour
- 1 tsp Oil hot
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 3/8 cup Water
- 4 tsp Mozzarella Cheese or Grated Processed Cheese shredded
- 1 tsp Tomato Ketchup
- Oil for frying
- Cut the onions into round slices.
- Sprinkle salt, red chili flake, and Italian seasoning/mixed herbs. Let it rest.
- Meanwhile, prepare the batter.
- In a bowl, mix gram flour, rice flour, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and lemon juice.
- Add 1/2 cup water and whisk to make a smooth batter. The batter seemed very thick, so again I added 1/8 cup of water to get the right consistency.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Take one onion slice, put 1 tsp of cheese over it, pour 1/4 tsp of tomato ketchup on it and cover it with another onion slice. Do the stuffing the same way in other onion slices.
- Now add 1 tsp hot oil to the batter and mix. Put one ready stuffed onion slice in the batter, coat it well. Deep fry in hot oil on medium flame.
- The same way put other pakodas in a pan for deep frying. I could deep fry 4 pakoda at a time.
- When almost done, cook on low flame till fully done,
- Take out on a plate and serve with tea or green chutney or tomato ketchup.
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.