Matanga is a South Indian name for Pumpkin. And any vegetable that is stir fried along with grated coconut is called “Thoran” in Kerala. So that makes “Matanga Thoran” more or, less a Keralite dish.
Thoran is an authentic traditional side dish normally served along with Steamed rice. Since this dish that we are talking about today is made of Pumpkin, it has a mild sweet and salt taste. It is hence that the curry that you are serving along with rice, has to be a little spicy and that will make the combination of rice, curry and Mathanga thoran a simply irresistible one.
I love this Thoran, primarily because of the grated coconut used in it. It gives a nice taste to the dish. And since this one is a little easy to make, this makes a quick side dish for meals, especially for those days when you are really confused on what to make.
Let us jump straight in to the recipe..
Mathanga Thoran – Pumpkin Stir FryPrint Recipe
- Pumpkin mathanga - 200 gm (cut into cubes)
- Shallots small onion - 6 (thinly sliced)
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chili - 2 broken
- Curry leaves - a few
- Coconut oil/ Cooking Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - as per the taste
- For Coconut Mixture
- Grated Coconut - 4-5 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red Chili Powder - 3/4 tsp
- In a bowl, mix grated coconut, turmeric powder and red chili powder together and set aside.
- Gently peel off the outer skin, remove seeds from inside and cut into ¼ - inch cubes (or any other shape and size).
- Wash the pumpkin and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When they start spluttering add whole dry red chili and urad dal and saute on a low heat until they turn light brown.
- Now add curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add onion slices and fry on a medium to low heat until golden color.
- Add pumpkin pieces and salt. Mix well.
- Cover with a tight lid and cook on a medium to low heat until it gets cooked. (keep stirring in between)
- Once it gets cooked add the coconut mixture to it and mix well.
- Cook for another 4-5 minutes stirring in between, without covering with lid. Turn off the gas.
- Serve as a side dish along with rice.
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.