Well, it was a tiring day yesterday with a lot of things. In fact there are some of those days when you feel like you are completely exhausted and there is no energy left in you to push yourself ahead. And it is these days when you feel like making something very easy and simple.
That is precisely what happened to me as well.
The first thing that I could catch hold off was some spring onion that was left over from my previous day’s adventures. And I ended up making spring onion dal.
It does not require a lot of time to prepare and it tastes super delicious too. Spring onion dal can be made by using any lentils or, dal or, mixed dal. Spring onions gives this dal a very nice flavor. It tastes really great along with white rice and also with side dishes. This dal can also be served along with roti as well.
So let’s jump onto the recipe….
Spring Onion Dal
- Toovar Dal/ Tuvar Dal - 1/2 cup
- Masoor Dal - 1/2 cup
- Spring Onion - 4-6 finely chopped
- Onion - 2 finely chopped
- Tomato - 2 finely chopped
- Green chilli - 2-3 finely chopped
- Chicken masala powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp or as per the taste
- Ginger - 1 inch crushed
- Garlic - 2-3 cloves crushed
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - as per the taste
- Oil - 1/2 tbsp
- Wash and clean the dal .
- Put it in a pressure cooker along with turmeric powder, salt and water.
- Cook for 2 whistles and turn off the flame.
- Do not open the lid, wait until pressure is released.
- In the meanwhile heat oil in a pan and mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Once it starts spluttering add crushed ginger-garlic and fry until the raw smell goes off.
- Now add chopped onion and fry until golden brown on a high flame.
- Now slow down the flame to medium, add chopped tomatoes.Stir well.
- Cook until the tomatoes gets mashed.
- Now add garam masala powder and chicken masala powder and mix well.
- Fry until the raw smell of masala goes off.
- Add the chopped spring onion and fry for few seconds. (Do not overcook the spring onion)
- Now add the cooked dal to it and mix well.
- You can heat water and add to this dal as per the required consistency.
- Check the salt and add if it is needed.
- Let it boil.
- Once the dal gets boiled turn off the flame.
- Serve hot along with plain rice or roti/chappati.
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.