Aloo bonda is one of the favorite recipes from Maharashtra and is normally served along with Pav in the form of Vada-pav. But this can also be had along with coriander chutney.
Daughters are a priced gift from god. When I see my little one around me always wanting to lend a helping hand looking at the state that I am in, I realize how much of a valuable gift she is to me.
During all my video shoots, I will find her around me asking me if there was anything that she could help me with, even if that meant stirring a mixture. But most of the times she would be disappointed when we tell her that it’s all “big guy’s work” and there is nothing that a kid can do.
But these days, she has a good enough reason to tell me that the “big guy’s work” can also be done by a kid, thanks to my fractured hand.
She would always be around me helping me with ingredients that I need to add to my recipes and keeping the tins back to where they belong. She feels that is the most that she could do to help her mom.
These days, my recipes are more of dilip’s and my daughter’s recipes. Because they are the ones who are doing the heavy lifting while I am the guide, just standing there and telling them what to do.
Today’s recipe is also one such with most of the work being done by Dilip and the “behind the screen” work by my daughter.
Aloo Bonda Recipe (Potato Vada Recipe)
Aloo Bonda, also called Batata Vada is one of the favorites in Maharashtra. Since Dilip was born and brought up in Mumbai, he has a liking to most Maharashtrian foods like aloo-poha, batata vada etc.
This vada is served as part of Vada pav in Mumbai and it tastes just awesome with the red chutney powder sprinkled in between the pav and a vada stuffed in them.
Today we are going to serve aloo bonda along with green coriander chutney. It too, tastes really good.
Aloo bonda – Step by Step VideoPrint Recipe
- Potatoes - 6 Large boiled and mashed
- Coriander leaves - handful finely chopped
- Gram flour - 1 cup
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil to deep fry
- Water - 1 tbsp
- In a pan or kadhai add water.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder, coriander leaves and saute for few minutes until the raw smell of turmeric goes off.
- Add the mashed potatoes to it and mix everything well.
- Once done take out the mixture in a plate and let it cool down.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- In a bowl, add gram flour, pinch of red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Add salt to taste.
- Mix everything well until smooth and there are no lumps.
- Ensure that the batter is not too thick, nor too liquid.
- Make small balls out of the mashed potato mixture and drop the balls into the gram flour mixture.
- Cover the mixture well with the batter and drop it slowly into the hot oil.
- Drain the fried potato vadas from the oil when it is slight golden brown.
- Serve hot along with coriander chutney.
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support. ????