Masala Paniyaram Recipe also known as kuzhi paniyaram, appe, appam is an Instant Recipe made from Idli-Dosa batter. This recipe is ideal for breakfast, evening snack, kids lunch box and if you want something light to have for dinner.
The festive season is all around in the air.
I at times wonder how even the weather ensures that we can feel the festivity around us with its own typical smell. Be it Diwali or, Christmas you can sense it in the air, in the weather around you and that typically resonates on the people around you.
The light cool breeze, the colorful lights, the carols and music and you know that Santa is coming.
It was Dilip’s birthday yesterday and that makes this time of the year, an all the more special one for all of us here.
Like every year we had plans of dressing him up as Santa, for my daughter. But something even better is happening this year.
In one of our casual discussions, we happened to talk about all this Santa stuff that we used to do, with some of our neighbors. All of them became excited and we decided that we will do it for all the children in the complex.
It was good to see the excitement in parents when they learnt that we will keep it a surprise and never reveal who the real Santa was. The kids will always feel that it was the real Santa who had come.
The buzz around this has already started. Costumes, gifts, bells and all are being purchased and I am sure it will be fun. We need to wait and see how the kids react to it.
And while I was seeing all of that excitement, participation and the interest with which Parents were getting involved, I wondered where the differences were.
I kept looking for it but couldn’t really find it. There were no religious barriers and no religious sentiments.
We were one – human beings looking for some fun and enjoyment in life and it didn’t really matter if it was Christmas or, Diwali. That is the diversity that we are known for and I know that will always remain no matter how hard anybody tries to break it.
And that unity in diversity is what The Tastes of India stands for.
Masala Paniyaram Recipe With Idli, Dosa Batter – Fermented Rice Batter Balls
Masala Paniyaram recipe is my favorite South Indian Breakfast recipe. You can also make this for evening snacks as well. This recipe is very popular in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Andhra. Paniyaram can be a handy recipe when we want to use the leftover idli-dosa batter to use or when the batter starts to become sour. Whenever you are in a hurry then you can just add salt and make simple paniyaram and serve it along with idli podi. Kuzhi Paniyaram Recipe is great for kids lunch box. You can add ghee instead of oil, if you are making it for your kids, they would love it.
We all love masala paniyaram along with onion tomato chutney. It also tastes good with coconut chutney recipe.
Paniyaram Recipe With Idli, Dosa Batter – Fermented Rice BallsPrint Pin Rate Share on Facebook
- Idli or dosa batter - 2 cups
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5-7
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Shallots/big onion - 1/3 cup finely chopped
- Green chillis - 1-2 finely chopped
- Coriander leaves - 3 tbsp finely chopped
- Oil - 1/2 tbsp + to shallow fry
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a small pan over medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds starts crackling add curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
- Now add chopped onion and green chilli.
- Saute until onion turns light pink.
- Turn off the flame and let the mixture cools down.
- Take a large bowl, add idli batter to it.
- Add onion mixture, coriander leaves and salt to taste. Mix well.
- The batter should not have runny consistency like dosa batter, neither it should be too thick like idli batter.
- Add little water, if the mixtue is too thick.
- Now heat paniyaram pan over medium flame.
- Add few drops of oil in each round mould.
- Pour a spoonful of batter into each one. (fill only until 3/4 of the each mould).
- Cover it with a lid or plate and cook over medium flame for around 2-3 minutes or until bottom surface turns light golden brown.
- Remove the lid and flip each paniyaram using a fork and spoon.
- Cook another side for about a minute until the bottom surface turns light golden.
- Remove them using a spoon and transfer to a plate.
- Serve hot along with coconut chutney, onion tomato chutney or you can also serve it with Idli podi.
MY PICKS FOR THIS RECIPE
[amazon_link asins=’B0188K43T2,B01GK9G0W6,B01MTB4SFK,B01468O5AW’ template=’MyPicksTemplate’ store=’toi-picksin’ marketplace=’IN’ link_id=’0a6b273a-e8a2-11e7-8783-cf263a81a4b6′]
If you found this post useful, I would really love, if you pin it or share it with your Facebook fans or Twitter followers or Google+ circles today. All it takes is a simple click on the “pin it” “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post. It will keep me motivated. Thank you!