Who says noodles is not Indian? Or, it could have been inspired by some Chinese traveler who had traveled to India long ago. If you are wondering, what is it that I am talking about, then let me clear the air and tell you about today’s recipe. It is called Noolappam (“Nool” means “thread” in Malayalam and “Appam” means “rice-cake”). From the name you would have figured out that it is a south Indian recipe, a Kerala recipe to be precise. You would also have understood the reason why I started today’s post with my weird thoughts about Noodles.
In fact, my daughter calls it Noodles and she likes it very much. Since it tastes good even when eaten alone without a side-dish, kids will like it a lot. And for people who don’t prefer a curry along with it, there is another tasty way of having Noolappam. You can mix it with milk and a little Sugar and the taste is just awesome. Again, kids like it this way too.
Noolappam is made of rice and grated coconut that is primarily used for garnishing. It is steam baked. It makes for a tasty breakfast and is healthy as well, with no oil. Serve it alongside potato stew and the combination is just next to nothing.
Idiyappam – Steamed Rice NoodlesPrint Recipe
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Grated coconut - ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Boil water with salt in a pan.
- In a mixing bowl add the rice flour.
- Add the boiled water little by little and mix it with a spoon.
- Cover and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- When it is warm and comfortable to handle, knead it to form a smooth dough.
- Now wet your hands with cold water and try to make the ball and fill it into an idiyappam press.Close the lid.
- Now sprinkle a little grated coconut on each moulds of idli plates.
- Press the dough filled idiyappam press into Idili plate/moulds which are garnished with grated coconut.
- Place it into steamer and let it cook for 10-15 min.
- Let the idiyappam cool down for a while and transfer it into a plate.
- Serve hot with any veg or non veg curry of your choice.
- It goes really well along with stew, egg or kadala curry.
- And if you are non vegetarian than you can also serve Idiyappam along with chicken or mutton curry.
MY PICKS FOR THIS RECIPE
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.