Continuing on with my last recipe, the recipe for today is another Lobia recipe that I am calling “Tangy lobia curry”. I like lobia a lot and because of its nutritional value, it is also a very healthy option for your lunch and dinner. And the best part about this lobia curry recipe is that it is quick to make, doesn’t use a lot of masalas and hence is easy on your stomach as well.
Pulse and cereals are natural protein providers and is hence should be an essential part of your diet. I ensure that I cook one or, the other pulse for my meals everyday. Our sedentary lifestyle these days requires us to ensure that our food is nutritious. And this curry would be one addition to your list of recipes that will provide you the required nutrition everyday.
This tangy lobia curry goes well with jeera rice, rotis and paranthas as well.
Tangy Lobia Curry – Tangy Black Eyed Bean Curry
- Cowpeas/Lobia/Black eyed beans - 1 cup
- Ingredients for Masala
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Onions - 2 roughly sliced
- Tomato - 2 roughly sliced
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Ingredients for Gravy
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp optional
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Lime Juice - 1 tsp
- Green chilli - 1-2 crushed
- Coriander leaves - handful finely chopped
- Salt - to taste
- Wash the cowpeas in running water and soak in enough water for 2-3 hours.
- Pressure cook until soft. (It should not get mashaed)
- Method to make masala
- In a kadai/pan add oil and saute onions till they start changing in colour.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes gets cooked and mushy.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool down.
- Grind this mixture to a smooth paste by adding little water.
- Method to make Gravy
- In the same kadai,add oil and saute the masala paste for 1-2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, pepper powder, garam masala powder and salt to taste.
- Add the cooked lobia along with a cup of water and bring it to boil.
- Simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the curry thickens.
- Add coriander leaves,lime juice and switch off the flame.