Tisi Pitha Recipe is a Traditional healthy Bihari Sweet Dish also known as Chikana ka Pittha. It is a very rich and nutritious recipe since it includes alsi / flaxseeds and gur. It is said that we should eat a spoon of flaxseeds and a small piece of jaggery every day to stay healthy.
Tisi Pitha is something, which is very common in Bihar. Tisi Pitha is prepared in most of the house during winter. It is said that tisi gives warmth to your body hence it is the most preferred sweet dish in winter.
It tastes best, when served cold. Infact if you are making Pitha today, it is advisable serving it the next day.
Tisi Pitha is typically eaten as a snack with chai, or as treats during special occasions, just like mithai.
Pitha is very much similar to Kozhukattai made in Kerala.
Chikana ka Pitha has all the goodness of flaxseeds as well as jaggery which is also full of antioxidants.
Jaggery has a lot of benefits like it cleanses our liver by detoxing the body and helps in indigestion and is full of zinc and selenium, and many more such minerals.
Nowadays, flax seeds are being categorized as a “super food” as more scientific research points to their health benefits.
Check out 10 Health Benefits of Flax Seeds that are supported by science
1) Flax seeds are good sources of many nutrients. Their health benefits are mainly due to their content of omega-3 fats, lignans, and fiber.
2) Flax seeds are a rich source of the omega-3 fatty acid ALA. Plant-based ALA fatty acids are proven to have heart health benefits and are linked to a lower risk of stroke.
3) Flax seeds contain a group of nutrients called lignans, which have powerful antioxidant and estrogen properties. They may help in preventing breast and prostate cancer, as well as other types of cancer.
4) With so much fiber packed in each tiny seed, adding flax seeds to your diet promotes regular bowel movements and can improve your digestive health. The high fiber content of flax seeds can help lower cholesterol and may play an important role in improving heart health.
5) Flax seeds have been proven to lower blood pressure and are especially helpful for those with high blood pressure.
6) Flax seeds are a good source of plant-based protein and can be an alternative protein source for people who do not eat meat.
7) Flaxseeds may lower blood sugar due to their insoluble fiber content. They can be a beneficial addition to the diet of people with diabetes.
8) Flax seeds keep you full for longer and may help you manage your weight by controlling your appetite.
9) Flax seeds are versatile and can be easily added to your daily diet. There are a variety of recipes you can try.
10) Ground flax seeds provide the greatest health benefits. If using flaxseed oil, remember to store it in a cool, dark place and use it when cooking at a lower temperature to retain its nutritional properties.
Now after reading all of the above you would have realized that this is the best healthy sweet you can make in Winters. I just love Pithha’s.
In fact, I just can’t stop at one.
And, there is one secret…
Tisi Pitha taste awesome, when served the next day.
So do try this recipe during this Winter, your kids are going to love this.
Some More Healthy Kids Recipe you Might want to Try:
Ragi Laddoo – How to Make Nachni Laddu
Things to take Care off While Making Tisi Pitha Recipe:
Rice Powder: It is important to use good quality rice powder for tisi pitha recipe, else the outer cover might break while stuffing or cooking. Prefer using rice powder like Nirapara rice Powder or Double Horse.
Jaggery: Usage of good quality jaggery is necessary since we will not be able to separate the dirt from the Jaggery by pouring water and melting it. We will be mixing jaggery along with flax seeds powder. So do take care of this.
Flax Seeds: Be careful, while roasting Flax seeds, it is normal for the seeds to splutter a little, so don’t worry about it! You can cover and roast it while stirring in between.
Tisi Pitha Recipe
For the Outer Cover
- 3 Cup Rice Flour
- 2 1/2 Cup Water or as needed to mix the dough
- 1 Cup Flax Seeds tisi, alsi
- 1 1/2 Cup Jaggery powdered
How to Prepare Stuffing:
- Take a pan or Kadai.
- Dry roast the flax seeds, until dark brown or until the nice aroma starts coming. Let it cool down. (Make sure to stir it occasionally to avoid it from burning).
- Once it gets cold, grind it and make a powder. (do not grind too much else it will leave oil)
- Now add jaggery to it and mix well. Set aside. (you can sprinkle little water so that it binds well)
How to Mix Dough:
- Heat water in a pan, let it boil.
- Add rice flour to the water slowly and mix well. Turn off the flame and leave for some time.
- After that take out the mixture in a bowl and knead it into a soft and smooth dough.
How to Make Pitha:
- Take a small portion of dough and flatten with your hand.
- Now put some flax and jaggery mixture.
- Close it from all sides and give the desired shape.
- Now take a deep vessel and fill it with 3/4 part of water and let it boil.
- Now slowly add Pithas to boiling water.
- Initially, it will go down to the bottom of the vessel and after some time it floats upon the surface of the water, which means it’s done and it’s time to take it out.
- Take it out of the water.
- Pitha is ready to be served.
- You can eat it, hot or cold.
- Made from 100% food-grade stainless steel
- Heavy-gauge stainless steel induction bottom
- Comes with a glass lid that has a bakelite knob to prevet heat transfer
- Bakelite ear handles to ensure safe handling
- Bakelite ear handles to ensure safe handling
You Might Also Want to Try Some More Bihari Recipes:
Deep Fried Cookies Thekua Recipe – Step by Step Video
Bihai Nimki Recipe
A lot of time, effort, and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.