Kadhi Pakoda/Kadhi Pakora is one of my favorite recipe. This simple recipe is very easy to make and does not require much ingredients as well. It goes well with plain rice and raw onion. This can also be eaten along with plain chapati and paratha. Kadhi pakoda along with rice is the best combination for Lunch or Dinner.
For Pakoda (about 10 pakodas) –
- 5-6 Tbps Besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Haldi Powder
- Salt to taste
- Water to mix
- Oil to deep fry
For Kadi (Serves 2) –
- 1.5 Tbsp Besan (chickpea flour)
- 3/4th Cup Plain Yogurt (slightly soury yogurt tastes the best)
- 1 finelly chopped onion
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4th tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Red chilly powder
- a pinch of Asafoetida
- 2 tsp Ginger (grated)
- 1 or, 2 Green chillies (slit lengthwise)
- a few Curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Kasturi methi
- Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp Cooking oil
Method of preparation:-
- Mix all of the above very well in a bowl with water as required.
- Do not make the batter very thick or, the pakodas will remain hard even after adding to the kadi.
- Let the batter stand for about 20 minutes.
- Now heat oil in a frying pan and deep fry the pakodas in this hot oil and keep aside.
- Whisk together yogurt and besan with a cup of water to get rid of lumps, if any.
- Heat oil in a kadai, once it is warm, add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds starts spluttering add fenugreek seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Saute for a few seconds and add chopped onion, green chillies and ginger.
- Saute till the ginger and onion turns golden brown.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric and salt and add the yogurt-besan mixture into it quickly and mix well.
- If the curry is too thick than add more water as the kadi will thicken on cooking.
- Let it simmer till it begins to boil and look yellow.
- Make sure the kadi is close to done before adding the pakodas. Boiling too long after adding pakodas will cause them to break (specially if you managed to make them very soft). Also keep in mind that adding them too late will leave them dry.
- Add pakodas and bring to a boil, simmer for a few more minutes.
- Add kasturi methi and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve Hot with plane rice and roti.