Chakka Varatti Recipe is a sweet recipe made out of ripe Jackfruit and is also called as Jackfruit Jam.
It feels really good when you take a break at least once every year. I think it’s much needed for everyone. You don’t just enjoy the break, infact you tend to become more productive after you come back from the break. Since it was vacation time for my daughter, we planned for a trip to Hyderabad and Kerala.
And this time I took a real break from blogging and cooking as well. It was all fun time with my little daughter.
It wasn’t really a break for my husband as it was for me because he was on an official trip and I on my vacation break.
So though it wasn’t really a good time to plan a vacation to Kerala or, to Hyderabad we still had to take a forced vacation to these places.
It was terribly hot in both these places but it was fun.
My hubby had to go for an official trip to Hyderabad so we planned for the Hyderabad trip. And then we had some function and ceremonies in Kerala, so we planned for Kerala trip. We planned it in such a way that we could attend the functions there and also get a much-needed break from work.
In spite of the scorching heat, we did enjoy our trip. If I talk about Hyderabad trip, it was just awesome, I am still not able to come out of those lovely stays in Hyderabad.
Second, I liked two things about the Kerala trip. First one was the road trip to Kerala. And the second thing I liked about the Kerala trip was the Jackfruit season. Though most of us don’t like summer season but it’s this summer season when you get those juicy, pulpy and sweet fruits. And jackfruit is one of them.
Jackfruit has lot’s of health benefits too. It strengthens the immune system, protects against cancer, aids digestion, boosts energy, lowers blood pressure, controls asthma, strengthens the bones, and prevents anemia.
Let me ask you a question. Have you ever tried jackfruit jam? If not, then I must tell you that you are missing something. But, better late than never.
So today I am going to share with you a recipe called Jackfruit Jam which is also known as Chakka Varatti.
Chakka Varatti Recipe
Chakka varatti recipe is easy but very laborious and time-consuming. And the most difficult part of the whole process is to pull out the fruits and get it deseeded. Total time in making this recipe also depends on the quantity you are making. But trust me the taste is worth the effort.
- Ripe Jackfruit - 2 cups (deseeded and chopped)
- Powdered jaggery - 1 to 2 cups powdered jaggery gets dissolve easily with water
- Ghee / clarified butter - 3 tbsp
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Dissolve the jaggery in warm water. Filter if necessary to remove any dirt or stones. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottom kadhai or pan cook the jackfruit in 3/4 cup water until soft.
- Mash it well with a wooden spoon.
- Add the jaggery water to it and cook on low heat, stirring constantly.
- When the mixture starts thickening and starts sticking add the ghee and keep stirring and cook until it reaches the jam consistency and the mixture starts to leave the sides.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool down.
- Once it gets cold, store in a air-tight jar and refrigirate.
- It tastes great with bread, roti or parathas.
- This recipe can also be used to make many delicious and irresistible dishes, like elai ada (pan poli), payasam, sweet idli etc and many more.
MY PICKS FOR THIS RECIPE
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support. ????