Jack Fruit Seeds Stir Fry Recipe also known as Chakkakuru Mezhukkupuratti is a healthy recipe made from the seeds of Jackfruits, which most of us would otherwise throw out as a waste.
About Jackfruit Seeds Stir Fry Recipe:
As the name says this recipe is made of Jackfruit seeds. A delicious way to use seeds that not many are aware of!
Jackfruit and its seeds contain plenty of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It’s healthy food to consume, when available.
This recipe is very famous in Kerala. I won’t say that this is an easy recipe to make but it tastes really good. This can be served as a side along with rice, dal, etc. And my favorite way to eat this recipe is just like that when it is hot and crispy. 🙂
Jackfruit seed stir fry is a delicious and healthy dish that is easy to prepare and versatile enough to be customized to your taste. Jackfruit seeds have a nutty and slightly sweet flavor that works well with a variety of vegetables and spices, making it an excellent addition to any meal.
Jackfruit seed stir fry is a popular recipe in the Indian state of Kerala, which is known for its flavorful and spicy cuisine. In Kerala, jackfruit seeds are a common ingredient in many dishes, and they are often used in curries, stews, and stir-fries.
Kerala-style jackfruit seed stir fry typically includes a combination of spices, which are sautéed in oil along with onions, ginger, garlic, and some spice powder.
There are many ways to customize jackfruit seed stir fry to suit your taste preferences and dietary needs. Whether you’re looking for a vegan-friendly or gluten-free option, or simply want to add some extra flavor and nutrition to the dish, there are many ingredients you can use to make jackfruit seed stir fry your own.
I learned this recipe from my mom-in-law. To be frank I never imagined that we could make a recipe using Jackfruit seeds. Because most of us would be of the impression that seeds are to be thrown.
If you were like me and thought so, then you are definitely going to enjoy this tasty recipe. 🙂
Kerala-style jackfruit seed stir fry also known as Chakkakuru Mezhukkupuratti is typically served as a side dish or a main course alongside rice or flatbread. It is a nutritious and flavorful dish that is loved by many in Kerala and beyond.
Why You Should Make This Recipe?
There are several reasons why you should consider making Chakkakuru Upperi:
- Nutritious: Jackfruit seeds are packed with nutrients, including protein, fiber, iron, and vitamins B and C. Incorporating jackfruit seeds into your diet through stir fry is an excellent way to get these essential nutrients.
- Versatile: Jackfruit seeds can be used in a variety of dishes, including stir fry, curries, and soups. They have a mild flavor that works well with many different spices and herbs.
- Delicious: Jackfruit seeds have a nutty flavor and a slightly chewy texture, making them a great addition to stir fry. When combined with seasonings, they create a flavorful and satisfying dish.
Overall, making jackfruit seed stir fry is an excellent way to add some variety to your diet. Plus, it tastes great! You can even try my Jackfruit Biryani, Jackfruit jam, and Jackfruit Curry recipes. These recipes are very popular on my Blog!
Here are some tips and tricks to make your jackfruit seed stir fry even better:
- Boil the seeds before stir-frying: Jackfruit seeds are quite hard, so it’s best to boil them until they are tender before adding them to stir-fry. Boil the seeds in a pressure cooker until they are soft but not mushy.
- Experiment with spices: Jackfruit seeds have a mild flavor that works well with a variety of spices and herbs. Try using different spice blends like curry powder, garam masala, or cumin to add flavor to your stir fry.
- Use a wok: A wok is a perfect pan to use for stir fry as it distributes heat evenly and allows for quick and easy stirring. If you don’t have a wok, a large skillet will work fine.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan: To ensure that your jackfruit seeds cook evenly, make sure not to overcrowd the pan. If the pan is too crowded, the seeds will steam rather than stir fry.
Looking for some more recipes like this?
Basic Ingredients Used to Make this Recipe:
Here is an overview of the importance and usage of the ingredients typically used in Kerala-style chakkakuru mezhukkpuratti:
Jackfruit seeds: Jackfruit seeds are the star ingredient of this dish. They have a mild nutty flavor and a starchy texture that makes them a versatile ingredient in many dishes.
Onion: Onion is a staple ingredient in many Indian dishes, including Kerala-style jackfruit seed stir fry. It adds a sweet and savory flavor to the dish.
Garlic: Garlic is an aromatic ingredient that is commonly used in Indian cooking. It adds a pungent and savory flavor to the dish and is also believed to have many health benefits.
Ginger: Ginger is an important ingredient in jackfruit seed stir fry as it can help to enhance the flavor, aroma, and nutritional value of the dish. Adding ginger to the dish can make it more flavorful, healthy, and enjoyable.
Curry leaves: Curry leaves are a fragrant herb that is commonly used in South Indian cooking. They add a distinct flavor and aroma to the dish and are also believed to have many health benefits.
Mustard seeds: Mustard seeds are the small seed that is commonly used in Indian cooking. They add a slightly bitter and pungent flavor to the dish and are also believed to have many health benefits.
Turmeric powder: Turmeric is a spice that is widely used in Indian cooking. It adds a bright yellow color to the dish and a slightly bitter and earthy flavor. Turmeric is also believed to have many health benefits.
Red chili powder: Red chili powder is made from dried and ground red chilies. It adds a spicy kick to the dish and can be adjusted to suit your personal taste preferences.
Salt: Salt is a basic seasoning that helps to bring out the flavors of the other ingredients in the dish.
Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is commonly used in Kerala-style cooking, but you can use any oil you prefer.
Jack Fruit Seeds Stir Fry RecipePrint Pin Rate Share on Facebook
- 1 cup Jackfruit seeds/chakkakuru
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger crushed
- 5-6 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 3-4 tsp Coconut oil
- Salt as needed
- Water to boil jackfruit seeds
- Peel the white skin of the jackfruit seeds with a knife.
- Pressure cook the seeds with enough water.
- Once cooked, let it cool down.
- Cut each seed into four quaters along the longer side. Keep aside. (if you want you can peel the seeds and remove the brown colour layer slightly as much you could remove by scrapping with the knif).
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds splutter add curry leaves. Then add crushed ginger-garlic and fry them well.
- Add onion and turmeric powder. Saute until golden brown.
- Add cooked jack fruit seeds, saute for few minutes in a medium heat. Add chilly powder and salt (if needed). Saute and fry it until light brown and becomes crispy.
- So the jackfruit seeds stir fry or chakkakkuru mezhukkupuratti is ready to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions about this recipe:
Are jackfruit seeds edible?
Yes, jackfruit seeds are edible and are commonly used in many cuisines worldwide.
How do I prepare jackfruit seeds for stir fry?
Yes, you can use canned jackfruit seeds for stir fry, but be sure to drain and rinse them thoroughly before using them.
Is jackfruit seed stir fry vegan-friendly?
Yes, jackfruit seed stir fry can be made vegan-friendly by using vegetable oil and omitting any non-vegan ingredients.
Are jackfruit seeds good for you?
Yes, jackfruit seeds are a good source of protein, fiber, and essential nutrients such as iron and vitamin B. They are also low in calories and fat.
Can I make jackfruit seed stir fry ahead of time?
Yes, you can make jackfruit seed stir fry ahead of time and store it in the fridge for a few days. Reheat it on the stove or in the microwave before serving.
How long does it take to make jackfruit seed stir fry?
It typically takes around 30-40 minutes to prepare and cook jackfruit seed stir fry, including the time it takes to boil the seeds.
My Recommended Product:
A wok is a perfect pan to use for stir fry as it distributes heat evenly and allows for quick and easy stirring. So in case you are looking for one, you might want to check this out. You can even check out my PAGE on Amazon, where you will find my favorite kitchen tools, Appliances, Accessories, and more HERE.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a small commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. I am an independent blogger and the reviews are done based on my own opinions. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
You Might also want to try:
If you are looking for a curry recipe, especially from Kerala, then you might want to check out the below-mentioned recipes, these recipes goes really well with Jackfruit seeds stir fry. Just make rice and any of these curries and Chakkakuru Mezhukkupuratti. I bet you would love the combination.
Mathanga Erissery Recipe (Pumpkin Coconut Curry)Check out this recipe
Nadan Kerala Parippu Curry
Ulli Theeyal Recipe – Shallots in Tamarind and Coconut SauceCheck out this recipe
Moru Curry Recipe
This recipe was published on 21 April 2017. Has now been updated on 10th April 2023 with further details.
A lot of time, effort, and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.