Muringakka Leaves Dal – Off all the things that I like about Kerala, this is what I like the most – the tongue twisters. It is said that Malayalam is one of the most difficult languages in India. There are a few alphabets which are very typical to Malayalam and are absolute tongue twisters.
Drum Stick, known as “Muringakaay” in Malayalam is a favorite vegetable in Kerala. It is used in Sambhar and many other recipes as well.
But this recipe is not about Drum Stick. Instead it is about Drum Stick leaves. Not too many people use it, but it is a very nutritious and healthy food, just like any other leafy vegetable.
Drum stick leaves have a typical flavor and taste and it passes this flavor onto the Dal, giving it a nice taste. If you are somebody who like varieties of dal, you will love this as well.
There is another side-dish (“Thoran” in Malayalam) that is made out of these leaves and that too is a very tasty one. I will show you that recipe as well in another post here.
Muringakka Leaves Dal - How to make Drumstick Leaves CurryPrint Pin Rate Share on Facebook
- Drumstick Leaves : 2 cups
- Toor Dal/split pigeon peas : 1/2 cup
- Red Chili Powder : 1 tsp or as per your taste
- Salt to taste
For Grinding :
- Coconut Grated : 1 cup
- Green Chilies : 2
- Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder : 1/2 tsp
- Garlic : 2 cloves
For Tempering :
- Mustard Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Dried Red Chillies : 2
- Curry leaves : few
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Clean the drumstick leaves by removing the leaves from the stem.
- Wash 2-3 times and allow it to drain.
- Wash Toor Dal and pressure cook until done.
- Remove from the fire and mash the dal and set aside.
- Grind coconut, green chillies, cumin seeds, turmeric powder and garlic together into smooth paste and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds starts spluttering add whole red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add drumstick leaves, chilli powder and salt to tastes, Stir.
- Cook leaves on a medium flame until done.
- Now add the cooked and mashed toor daal and grounded coconut paste and mix well.
- Add water as per required and mix well.
- Let it boil and then turn of the gas.
- Serve hot along with rice and some side dish.
Please do take a little time to comment on the recipes, as your feedback means a lot to me. And don’t forget to share the recipes on your favorite social networks sites.