Orange and Khoya Barfi – No to sweets never….. I can never say no to any sweets. Sweets are my weakness. Though I can’t have too much of it at a time but Sweets are something I always look for, when I finish my breakfast, lunch or dinner. So even if there is no occasion I prefer making some kind of sweets or desserts to delight myself and my family.
Ohh! how can I forget my little daughter, she is fond of these kind of sweet items and she keeps asking for more. 🙂
Orange sweet barfi is a combination of orange, khoya and sugar. Due to its orange flavor it tastes great and is very simple and easy to make.
Barfi is a typical sweet that could be categorized as a North-Indian Sweet. But off-late I noticed barfi at a lot of bakeries in Kerala as well. Though it is confined to only a couple of varieties. In North India you would normally find a lot of varieties of barfi with kaju barfi being the favorite.
- Orange - 1 large
- Mava/Khoya - 200 gms thickened dried evaporated milk made by heating milk in an open iron pan to condensation
- Sugar - ½ Cup
- Clarified Indian butter/Pure ghee - 1 tbsp
- Green cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Dry fruits pistachio, almond, cashew - handful (chopped)
- Peel the orange, remove the seed and the transparent skin fully and keep the pieces aside.
- Now grate Khoya and put it in a thick bottom wok or deep pan with sugar and heat on a medium heat.
- Let it thicken stirring in between.
- Once it reduces to almost half the quantity then add the orange pieces to it.
- This will again loosen the consistency of the mixture.
- Stir continuously and cook on a low flame till the mixture reduces almost to a uniform mixture.
- Add ghee and cardamom powder and mix well, remove from the fire.
- Grease a small square or rectangular tray and spread the entire mixture evenly across the base.
- Now sprinkle pistachio, almond, cashew and set aside to cool.
- Once it gets cold cut into diamond shape pieces and serve.
Please do take a little time to comment on the recipes, as your feedback means a lot to me. And don’t forget to share the recipes on your favorite social networks sites. 🙂