I have often encountered this situation in most restaurants. Pick up a menu card and search for vegetarian recipes and you will find only a few choices. While most of it will be something made out of Paneer, the rest few are either cauliflower, potatoes, mushrooms or, baby corns. And this is the best seen in case of starters where the choices are limited.
Whatever it is, I and my little daughter has come to like paneer a lot. And for us the best substitute for the chicken that my husband orders everytime we go to a restaurant, is paneer. And that is probably why I like experimenting with paneer recipes a lot.
Today’s recipe is also an experiment. In fact this is an experiment that I tried a few times. But this time round it came out real well and I thought I will post it for you all.
While the masalas in this recipe gives it the flavor it needs, the cream that we use in it reduces the spice and gives it a nice taste like that of paneer butter masala. Try it and I am sure you and your family will like it.
So let’s make the Creamy Paneer Gravy Recipe….
Creamy Paneer GravyPrint Recipe
- Paneer - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 cup thinly sliced
- Tomato - 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Garlic - 5 cloves crushed
- Ginger - 1" inch finely crushed
- Balck cardamom - 1
- Cinnamon stick - 1 piece
- Bay leaf - 1
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Chicken masala powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cashew nuts - 2 tbsp
- Fresh cream - 3/4 cup whipped
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp + oil to deep fry the paneer and onion
- Salt - as per the taste
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp finely chopped
Ingredients to fry onion:
- Onion - 1/2 cup thinly sliced
- Corn flour/maida/rice powder - 1 tsp
- Oil - to deep fry
Method to fry Onion and make a paste:
- Take a bowl add the sliced onion and add corn flour/ maida/ rice flour and mix the onions well.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the onions until they are golden brown. Drain it onto a tissue paper.
- Your fried onions are ready.
- Deep fry the paneer also in the same kadhai and set aside.
- Now grind the fried onion and cashew nuts together by adding a little water and make a smooth paste. Set aside.
Method to make Paneer masala:
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Once it starts spluttering add cinnamon stick, black cardamom and bay leaf.
- Now add ginger and garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Add onion, turmeric and salt and fry until golden brown.
- Add coriander powder, chicken masala powder, chilli powder and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Fry this mixture until the raw smell of masala goes off.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and cook the masala on a low flame stirring in between.
- Cook until the tomatoes become mushy.
- Now open the lid, add the ground mixture to it and fry for few minutes on a medium flame. (Ensure that the masala doesn't get burnt)
- Now add the fresh whipped cream and mix well.
- Cook for few more minutes and then add the fried paneer cubes to it and mix well.
- Add hot water to the mixture as per the required consistency and give it a good mix.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and the creamy paneer gravy is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with naan, kulchas, parathas, pooris or rice.
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.