Vegetable Uthappam Recipe is a South Indian Breakfast Recipe made out of Idli-Dosa batter. This recipe can also be served as a lunch, dinner, snacks or tiffin.
In a week from now, we are going to travel to Kerala. It’s a quick 4 days trip to attend my husband’s cousin’s wedding.
It is peak summers here in India and this time of the year is usually pretty hot in Kerala too.
I wonder how we human change our acceptability quotient.
What is acceptability quotient?
That’s an imaginary number that my husband often uses, which shows you how acceptable are you to changes in your surroundings like weather, people etc.
We used to live in Delhi and we have seen summers where the temperatures used to touch 49 degrees.
We were okay with the heat then and never felt that it was extreme.
When people hear us talking about 49 degrees, they would cry in horror asking us how we were still managing such an extreme weather.
And we were like, “What? Extreme weather! This is normal for us”.
Fast forward to today, when we have spent close to 9 years in Bangalore.
The weather in Bangalore though, it has changed over the last few years, is still extremely pleasant in comparison to a lot many other parts in India.
Summers aren’t too hot here and we haven’t really seen “sweat” even in peak summers.
Now that we lived in this climate, we suddenly seem to have moved to the other side of the table and become a part of the people who used to tell us that 49 degrees in Delhi was extreme.
Yes! A couple of days back when somebody in Kerala called us and told us that the heat there was unbearable, for a moment we felt like canceling our trip.
But then the occasion was like one we couldn’t miss.
The heat factor is still playing in our minds and we are thinking about how we will manage in the heat there.
Isn’t it strange that a better life suddenly puts us into a different league from where our earlier life looks puny and miserable?
And we start looking down on those same circumstances and surroundings that we lived in, a little while back.
Probably that’s an integral part of human behavior and I am not different.
Vegetable Uthappam Recipe – South Indian Pancake With Vegetable Toppings
Vegetable Uthappam Recipe is actually a thick pancake topped with chopped onion, carrot, capsicum and green chili. The topping is your choice. There are many other ways of preparing uthappam, which I will be sharing soon.
Uthappam is also called as Indian Pizza. So if you want your kid to eat some healthy food, then Vegetable Uthappam Recipe is the best recipe to make with vegetables of your choice.
You might also want to try the some more Delicious and Healthy South Indian Recipes……
Vegetable Uthappam Recipe - South Indian Pancake With Vegetable Toppings
- 1 cup Idli dosa batter
- 1/4 cup Onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Capsicum finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Carrot finely chopped
- 1 Tomato finely chopped and deseeded
- 2 nos Green Chili finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- Oil as needed
- Salt to taste
- Take idli dosa batter in a bowl, add salt to taste. Mix and keep it aside.
- Heat a nonstick tawa or an iron griddle. Grease it with oil. When the tawa becomes hot enough, pour one ladle full of batter and gently spread it in a circular motion. Uthappam should be slightly thick. So don't spread the batter too much.
- When you find small holes appearing on the spread batter, add the chopped vegetables. Add oil around the edges. Reduce the flame to medium. Cover and cook for a few seconds.
- By this time, the veggies will get cooked well and the bottom portion of the uthappam would have cooked. Flip the uthappam to the other side and cook on medium flame for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Transfer the uthappam to a serving plate.
- Serve vegetable uthappam with coconut chutney, hari chutney, idli podi or sambhar.
MY PICKS FOR THIS RECIPE
[amazon_link asins=’B01468O5AW,B0091X7RVM,B00IYJEI4S’ template=’MyPicksTemplate’ store=’dksp-21′ marketplace=’IN’ link_id=’a676ca84-4cb3-11e8-bef5-e5456232ead4′]
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback.
If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support. ????