Dal is an important part of an Indian Cuisine. Its a great source of protein for the people, those who are vegetarian. Almost all kind of dal have similar amount of protein. So it is recommended that you should have one serving in a meal.
The recipe for today is “Masoor dal fry” which is made with split Masoor dal. You can also use whole masoor dal to make dal recipes. Masoor dal contain high levels of protein, including essential amino acids isoleucine and lysine and are an essential source of inexpensive protein diet. It also contains fiber, folate, vitamin B1 and minerals.
Masoor dal is very easy to prepare and gets cooked easily than any other dal. Masoor Dal fry can be eaten with rice or roti (an Indian flat bread). Masoor dal fry is one of my favorite recipe. You can check two more Masoor Dal recipe on my website whic are Masoor Dal Kadi and Whole Masoor Ki Dal.
There are many more such recipes which I tried using Masoor Dal, and I will be sharing it very soon with you all. And one more thing, I have a small tip for you today. And the tip is that whenever you make moong dal and rice khichdi, just add some portion of masoor dal in it. It will taste heavenly.
So let’s jump on to the recipe now….
- Masoor Dal - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 finely chopped
- Tomato - 1 finely chopped
- Green Chilli - 1 chopped
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp finely chopped
- Garlic - 1/2 tsp finely chopped
- Curry leaves - a few chopped
- Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- Red Chili Powder - 1/4 tsp or to taste
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - as per required
- Ghee - 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Water - as per needed
- In a pressure cooker, place a cup of masoor dal and 2 cups of water and pressure cook upto 2 whistles or till the dal is soft.
- Mash dal, add half a cup of water and salt. You can add more water if you want and keep it aside.
- Heat Ghee in a cooking vessel/kadahai, add cumin seeds.
- Once the seeds starts spluttering add curry leaves, chopped ginger, and chopped garlic and fry for few seconds.
- Now add onion, chopped green chilli, turmeric and salt and fry until the onion are slighlty brown in color.
- Now add tomatoes and chili powder as per the taste and mix well.
- Cook until the tomatoes gets little mushy.
- Add the cooked dal to this mixture and mix well.
- Cook dal on a medium flame until it starts boiling.
- Once it starts boiling add little more ghee and remove from the fire.
- Serve with rotis or white rice.
If you want you can add a dash of lemon juice.
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support. 🙂