Curd Rice Recipe or Thayir Sadam is a perfect comfort food and is a very popular South Indian dish. Curd rice recipe is a combination of steamed rice and curd, tempered with mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida, dry chilies, and urad dal.
Yesterday as I and Dilip walked out of our apartment complex to go to a nearby shop, we saw a group of youngsters gathered outside on the road and doing something.
When we checked we found that they were planting some trees on the sides of the road in front of our apartment complex.
We were pleased at the sight. We spoke to a few of them and found out that there were from a specific IT based company and that they were doing it as part of their CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) initiative.
With the diminishing green cover and the mass deforestation that was happening around, the importance of planting a tree could just not be emphasized enough.
So a group of youngsters taking up this initiative and a company spending a few manhours and some money on doing all this was a feast to the eyes.
The group kept planting tree saplings at equal distants and kept moving ahead as they finished planting the saplings.
We finished at work at the store and came back. As we walked back, we could see that the group had almost finished their work.
They had planted almost 15-17 saplings in that entire stretch and were wrapping up things.
In the evening the two of us walked out again to get something from the nearby store and when we moved out of the apartment complex, we were shocked to see that none of the saplings that were planted were there.
Either they were eaten up by some cattle that roamed there or, were taken away by someone.
We walked the entire street to see how many of them were left and could find only about 3-4, which too we were sure would vanish in the next 1 or, 2 days.
This made us think. Was the CSR initiative really fruitful?
While the initiative itself was a good one, did anyone really care about the effectiveness of the activity?
I wonder if anybody did.
I have a lot of such “Plant a sapling” initiative, where politicians, actors, and prominent personalities plant saplings.
But how many of those saplings grow into a tree is hardly anybody’s concern.
If these saplings don’t really grow into trees, are we doing justice to the entire concept of re-forestation by just planting a sapling?
If so, why not change this entire narrative and make it “Grow a Tree”. You need not plant a hundred sapling. Instead, let each one of us plant one and nurture it to grow into a tree.
And if, each one of us is able to do that, there will be hundreds of trees around us and they will all be cared for and nurtured.
Curd Rice Recipe – How to Make Thayir Sadam
Curd rice is very simple and easy to make and this recipe is good for lunch box as well. It tastes good with any pickle or chutney. You can also serve curd rice along with Sukhe Aloo ki Sabzi.
Curd Rice is the most preferred dish in South India because it is very light to digest. Curd rice has lots of health benefits too.
Another Rice Varieties you might want to try:
Curd Rice Recipe
- 2 1/2 glass Rice
- 2 tbsp Urad Dal/split black lentils
- 1 ltr Curd or as per required
- 1/2 ltr Milk
- 1 tbsp Ginger crushed
- 3-4 Green Chillies chopped
- 2 Carrot medium (thinly sliced or chopped)
- Coriander Leaves handful (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Asafoetida pinch
- 5 tbsp Curry Leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Chop carrot, curry leaves, green chilli and coriander leaves and set aside.
- Wash the rice and cook with water.(if you want you can pressure cook the rice with required water)
- Once done, mash the rice well and mix boiled, hot milk.
- Add more milk if needed.
- Let it cool down and once it gets cold add the curd and mix well.
- Now heat a pan, add 1 tbsp oil in it.
- Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds start spluttering add urad dal and fry for few seconds, now add ginger and carrot and cook uncovered for about 2 to 3 minutes. (Do not overcook the carrot)
- Pour that mixture to curd rice.
- Now in the same pan add 1 tbsp oil, once the oil is hot add hing, curry leaves, chopped coriander leaves, and green chili. Fry for few seconds.
- Switch off the flame.
- Once done add this mixture to the curd rice and mix well.
- Serve with pickle, papad, or any side dish.
Do not add cold milk to the hot rice.
Heat milk and add it. (milk gives richness to the curd rice).Before adding curd, ensure the rice is cooled down, because adding curd to hot rice may not be friendly to your stomach.
Avoid using green chilies if you are making curd rice for kids. You can adjust the milk, curd and water quantity as per your need.
If you are packing for lunch box, I would suggest for more milk and less curd.
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback.
If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.