I still remember when I had Dal Palak for the first time in my office canteen. Dal palak used to be served there very often. This dal palak is a simple and easy to make. It’s a combination of toovar/arhar dal as well as spinach/palak . It goes well with roti and rice.
- Palak/spinach-1 cup (chopped)
- Moong dal-3/4 cup
- Onion-2 (chopped)
- Green chilies-3 to 4(slit lengthwise)
- Oil/ghee-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick-2
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste-1 tsp
- Lemon juice-1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander leaves-to garnish
- Wash the moong dal and cook with enough water in a pressure cooker or in a sauce pan.
- Cook dal on a medium flame, until the dal is cooked and tender.
- Wash the spinach and chop it finely.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan add cumin seeds, cinnamon and cloves. Fry for a minute.
- Then add onion,turmeric powder and green chilies and fry.
- Once the onions are fried, add the ginger garlic paste and stir.
- Now add tomatoes and salt and cook until the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add the chopped spinach and mix well.
- Let it cook until the spinach is tender.
- Now add the cooked dal and add some water to bring the dal to the required consistency.
- Let it boil and then simmer for about 10 mins.
- Turn off the flame and add some lime juice and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.