Gothambu puttu or wheat flour puttu is a traditional Breakfast recipe from Kerala. It’s a healthy simple-to-make and very tasty meal option for your busy morning. (step-by-step-recipe)
About Gothambu Puttu Recipe:
Wheat flour puttu is a quick healthy breakfast recipe made with wheat flour and coconut. It’s always a great option for lunch or dinner too. Gothambu Puttu is a vegetarian recipe with not a drop of oil.
Whenever I am not in the mood to make chapati but want to include wheat flour in my diet. I prefer making this puttu. And the best vegetarian curry that goes well with this recipe is vegetable stew. It tastes good with kadala curry also, which is actually a curry made with thick coconut gravy.
You can even try having this with small bananas. It tastes just awesome. My daughter loves having puttu with ghee and sugar. So in case, your child too doesn’t want to have curry, you can try that. As the combination of wheat puttu along with little sugar and ghee is healthy for kids.
You can even try the combination of rice flour puttu, payar and papadam. You might want to check out the recipe here.
Why you Should Make this Recipe?
Whole grain wheat contains a rich source of Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and Dietary fibers which helps to reduce blood cholesterol levels and may lower the risk of heart diseases. And also, this recipe uses coconut, which has Iron, zinc, fat and dietary fiber which helps to fend off weight gain by helping you feel fuller after the meals.
- Healthy Recipe for any meal in a day
- leaves you energized for the rest of the day
- it is very nourishing to the body
- It does not use a single drop of oil
- Can be made instantly
- Great for school or work
Looking for some more Healthy South Indian Breakfast Recipes?
Noolappam – Steamed Rice Noodles
Basic Ingredients Used to Make this Recipe:
There are quite a few basic ingredients required to make this recipe, which is easily available in your own kitchen. It’s one of the simplest breakfast recipes made with wheat flour, where wheat flour and salt is mixed and then water is sprinkled to form a coarse mixture. And finally, this mixture is steamed in a Puttu maker with the required grated coconut.
Wheat Flour: As the name suggests, this recipe is made with wheat flour, but in case you are looking for rice puttu then you might want to check out the recipe here.
Coconut: Coconut is something you should add properly. Coconut enhances the taste of this recipe. I love more coconut in this recipe.
Others: You would also need water and salt to make the mixture of puttu.
Gothambu Puttu Recipe
- 2 cups Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Water approx or as needed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Coconut grated
- Mix wheat flour with the salt in a bowl.
- Sprinkle water, little by little and mix it with your fingertips.
- The flour should be moist but it should be crumbly. If you take a little flour between your thumb and index finger and press it tightly, it should hold its shape. That is the correct consistency.
- Add 1 cup of coconut, and give it a nice mix. I love adding coconut while mixing the flour as it enhances the taste.
- Now fill your puttu kudam with water till two-thirds full. Place on the stove. Take the cylindrical tube part(puttu mould or, puttu kutti) and insert the blocker (flat disk with holes) at the bottom of the tube.
- Start with a layer of coconut and then add the flour mixture.
- Alternate the coconut and flour mix till the end of the mould as per your choice. Do not press with a hand or spoon. Leave it in loose form, so that steam can come out easily from the puttu kudam.
- This layering is entirely your choice and you can start with coconut or, flour. If you don’t want to take the layering route, then you can simply mix the coconut in the flour and fill the puttu kudam with the mix.
- Cover the mould with the lid.
- Steam for 6-8 minutes or when the puttu is cooked, steam will start coming through the holes on the lid. Remove the tube from the pot and open the lid. Using the handle of a large spoon, slowly push the puttu, and slide it onto a plate.
- Serve the puttu when it is warm along with any curry of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions about Wheat Flour Puttu:
Is wheat puttu good for health?
Yes, absolutely. Every grain, vegetable, and fruit, when consumed in its natural form without adding any adulterated substances, is safe for your health.
Why is puttu famous in Kerala?
Puttu and kadala curry is a combination of carbs and protein and is considered the healthiest breakfast in Kerala. Since it is steamed, it retains all the nutrients and is a great source of energy.
Can we make puttu, if we don’t have puttu kudum?
Yes, you can. You can make pottu in idli stand. It’s just that you won’t be getting a cylindrical shape.
My Recommended Product:
If you are planning to make puttu at home, but don’t have the puttu maker. Then look no further, check out the below-mentioned product for yourself and make a healthy puttu recipe, whenever you want.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a small commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. I am an independent blogger and the reviews are done based on my own opinions. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY - Made from high grade stainless steel, the puttu maker is completely food grade , free from rusting or cracking
- EFFICIENCY - Consumes less fuel and highly durable, the puttu maker works on both gas stove and induction stove
- MULTIPURPOSE - Rice Flour Puttu, Red Rice Puttu, Kavuni Arisi Puttu, Moongil Arisi Puttu, Corn Puttu, Ragi Puttu, Wheat Puttu, Rawa Puttu all can be made
- UNIQUE DESIGN - It includes heat resistant protective handles and cap on the container body
- PREMIUM HANDLES - Sturdy, cool bakelite handles & kn
You Might Also Want to Try:
Coconut Rice Recipe
Curd Rice Recipe
Recipe for Mango Rice
Lemon Rice Recipe – Lemon Flavored Rice RecipeCheck out this recipe
A lot of time, effort, and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found it helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.