Potato Chips is commonly served as a snack and loved by all and in this post, we will learn how to make Sun Dried Potato Chips at home.
Last week we had a discussion with a few people who were interested in learning about blogging. We basically wanted to understand what their concerns were and if they would be willing to take up a blogging course.
There were a lot of interesting questions that came up, a lot of them about the basics of blogging. But surprisingly there were a few others who were already into blogging who raised a common concern. That was on blog maintenance.
They were people who said that they faced a lot of problems ensuring that their installation was up-to-date. Updating plugins, themes and WordPress itself was a big concern for them. In fact, there were a few of them whose blogs were hacked just because they didn’t update their plugins.
There were a lot of other things that came out of this discussion. We were surprised to learn that there were quite a few people in India who didn’t even know what blogging was and how to start a blog.
We were working on a basic blogging course specifically targetted to the India audience but not restricted to them. It is for people who had little to no information about blogging but want a structured plan to start one.
In addition to this low priced course we also wanted to provide as much information as possible to our readers and in order to provide this additional information we are starting a “Blogging Segment” in our podcast which will be broadcast every 2 weeks, on Thursdays.
Also to help all of those bloggers who have difficulty managing and updating their blogs, we will be introducing a blog management and maintenance service which will take care of all the updation and maintenance of blogs. This will be a monthly payment service.
It feels very exciting to plan all of this work on expanding your business. These are still in the planning stages and there is a lot more required before these can be implemented.
But I am looking forward to it and I felt it was the right time to share some of our plans with you.
I think that’s a lot of blabbering. Now I should get onto today’s recipe.
Potato Chips Recipe – How to Make Sun Dried Potato Chips at Home
This recipe requires very minimal ingredients and if you are making in a small batch it does not require much time as well.
Potato Chips Recipe
- 2 kg Potato large
- Salt to taste
- Water for washing & boiling chips
- Wash the potatoes well in water.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Now start slicing the potatoes in such a way so that the slices falls directly into the salt water. (this will prevent the potato slices from getting brown).
- The water should cover the slices completely.
- After you made chips of all the potatoes wash all the chips thoroughly under running water to take all the starch off or else your chips start appearing yellow after being dried.
- Now heat a large pan full of water and add salt to it.
- The quantity of water should be enough for potato slices to be fully submerged.
- Bring this salt water mixture to a rolling boil on a high flame.
- When the water starts boiling add 1/4th of the chips we have sliced out of 2 kgs potatoes. Stir it slightly.
- Cover and cook for about 5-6 minutes or until they are close to cooking but not completely cooked like we cook the vegetables. (the water may ooze out of pan hence to avoid this you can keep the lid open from one side.
- Now seave them using a big strainer. You can save the hot water to be used in the next batch. Repeat the same boiling process for the rest of the chips. If hot water is not sufficient you can add some more water. Bring it to boil & then add remaining chips.
- While you put the next batch in boiling water, you can start spreading boiled chips from the previous batch on a clean muslin cloth under the sun for 1 or 2 days or about 7 to 8 hours in the sun. (for better drying some people turn the chips upside down for better, but personally, I and my Mom doesn't do it because the chips get dried on its own if it gets proper sunlight)
- Once completely dried store them in airtight plastic or steel containers.
- Serve them along with hot tea or coffee after deep frying.
- Sprinkle some chat masala, ground black pepper or red chili flakes, black salt or plain salt before serving.
If you don't have muslin cloth you can use some cleaned old bed sheet or sari. But avoid using plastic sheets I would say.
If you don’t have access to sunlight spread them in your room & keep your fan on for 7-8 hrs.
In between, after 4-5 hrs if you see chips are drying you can turn them upside down for better drying.
You can use chips cutter or food processor for slicing the chips.
Make sure to keep the chips soaked in water all the time until you boil since it changes color if left without water.
And of course, since it is homemade you can also give this chips to your kids as a snack without hesitating.
MY PICK FOR THIS RECIPE
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.