Potato Chips is commonly served as a snack and loved by all and in this post, we will learn how to make Sun Dried Potato Chips at home.
About Potato Chips Recipe:
The Potato chips recipe is one of the most common snacks served along with hot tea or coffee. Since it is homemade and there are no preservatives in it, this is a great snack box recipe Idea for Kids.
This recipe requires very minimal ingredients and if you are making it in a small batch it does not require much time as well.
These Homemade Potato Chips are so addictive that you just can’t stop eating them. I still remember my childhood days when I would keep eating it again and again, once I start.
The best thing I like about these potato chips is that you can make them in a big batch, store them and fry them whenever you want and serve.
I love aloo chips, sprinkled with some salt and chilli powder. You can even add some chaat masala to it before serving.
Potato chips can be eaten as it is, as a tea-time snack or you can serve as an accompaniment with dal-rice or even sambar-rice, khichdi etc.
No rules. Just eat whenever with whatever you feel like. 🙂
So what are we waiting for let us learn how to make sun dried potato chips at home.
My mom used to make a big batch of potato chips, sabudana papad, aam ka achar, wadis during summers. I remember how I used to help my Mom making aloo chips. And we used to guard them against birds or, monkeys coming and eating or spoiling them.
During summers, our big terrace used to be fully covered with sarees on which papad, aloo chips, dal vadis, sabudana papad , mango pieces for aam ka achar, and aam papad. Yes, that’s right. My mom used to make aam papad too. So she used to spread ripped mashed mango pulp for that also. Everything on the terrace!
So, it was a full utilization of terrace and the summers.
Anyways, those days are gone now, we rarely get to see all these things being done at home since all items are available in stores throughout the year. The fun of getting together and doing these things are all lost. I really feel bad about these new generation kids, because they didn’t get a chance to see all this. Really miss those days.
My Mom used to make two types of sun-dried potato chips. One was the plain one and the second is with the crisscross patterns. For making the crisscross pattern you need a potato slicer with a serrated blade.
But today I am sharing the recipe of plain potato chips which you can make with potato slicer, mandolin, V slicer, with a food processor or even with a sharp knife.
Making chips at home requires three things, sunlight, enough open space for drying under the sun, and lots of patience. So during summer if you make a big batch of potato chips, you will be free for the rest of the year.
All you have to do is spread hot chips on a muslin cloth or plastic sheet in a single layer, avoiding overlapping. Let it sun-dry for 2-3 days till fully crisp. When they become fully dry and crisp store them in an air-tight container and use until the last. And simply deep fry them whenever you want. Sprinkle some black salt and chili powder for a great taste.
News For You:
Last week we had a discussion with a few people who were interested in learning about blogging. We basically wanted to understand what their concerns were and if they would be willing to take up a blogging course.
There were a lot of interesting questions that came up, a lot of them about the basics of blogging. But surprisingly there were a few others who were already into blogging who raised a common concern. That was on blog maintenance.
They were people who said that they faced a lot of problems ensuring that their installation was up-to-date. Updating plugins, themes and WordPress itself was a big concern for them. In fact, there were a few of them whose blogs were hacked just because they didn’t update their plugins.
There were a lot of other things that came out of this discussion. We were surprised to learn that there were quite a few people in India who didn’t even know what blogging was and how to start a blog.
We were working on a basic blogging course specifically targetted to the India audience but not restricted to them. It is for people who had little to no information about blogging but want a structured plan to start one.
In addition to this low priced course we also wanted to provide as much information as possible to our readers and in order to provide this additional information we are starting a “Blogging Segment” in our podcast which will be broadcast every 2 weeks, on Thursdays.
Also to help all of those bloggers who have difficulty managing and updating their blogs, we will be introducing a blog management and maintenance service that will take care of all the updating and maintenance of blogs. This will be a monthly payment service.
It feels very exciting to plan all of this work on expanding your business. These are still in the planning stages and there is a lot more required before these can be implemented.
But I am looking forward to it and I felt it was the right time to share some of our plans with you.
I think that’s a lot of blabbering. Now I should get onto today’s recipe.
Why you should Make this Recipe?
Potato Chips is a very tasty kid’s favorite snack recipe. In fact, even adults will enjoy it with a cup of tea. Here are some reasons why this Potato Chips Recipe is an ideal recipe for you.
- No added preservative
- Absolutely crisp and addictive!
Looking for some more Dry Snack Recipes?
Looking for some dry snack recipes, then you might want to try some of these dry snack recipes that I had published some time back. These snacks are also so addictive and tasty that you just can’t resist eating more and more. And the best part is that all these three snacks are enjoyed by kids too.
Makhana Dry Fruits Namkeen Snack Recipe
Deep Fried Cookies Thekua Recipe
Basic Ingredients & Equipments Used to make Potato Chips:
To make these chips all you need are fresh, good quality large or medium-sized potatoes, water, salt, and of course good sunlight. The quantity of water and salt can be easily adjusted while preparing the chips.
And, we would also need certain things like a mandoline or slicer, a large tray, a plastic sheet, or a clean cotton napkin. You can also use cleaned bedsheet or saree, if these are unavailable.
Potato Chips Recipe
Ingredients to make Potato Chips:
- 2 kg Potato large
- Salt to taste
- Water for washing & boiling chips
- Plastic sheet/clean cloth napkin
- a large tray
Ingredients to Fry Potato Chips:
- Vegetable oil/mustard oil to deep fry
- Black Salt to taste
- Red Chilli Powder to taste
- Wash the potatoes well in water.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Now start slicing the potatoes in such a way so that the slices falls directly into the salt water. (this will prevent the potato slices from getting brown).
- The water should cover the slices completely.
- After you made chips of all the potatoes wash all the chips thoroughly under running water to take all the starch off or else your chips start appearing yellow after being dried.
- Now heat a large pan full of water and add salt to it.
- The quantity of water should be enough for potato slices to be fully submerged.
- Bring this salt water mixture to a rolling boil on a high flame.
- When the water starts boiling add 1/4th of the chips we have sliced out of 2 kgs potatoes. Stir it slightly.
- Cover and cook for about 5-6 minutes or until they are close to cooking but not completely cooked like we cook the vegetables. (the water may ooze out of pan hence to avoid this you can keep the lid open from one side.
- Now seave them using a big strainer. You can save the hot water to be used in the next batch. Repeat the same boiling process for the rest of the chips. If hot water is not sufficient you can add some more water. Bring it to boil & then add remaining chips.
- While you put the next batch in boiling water, you can start spreading boiled chips from the previous batch on a clean muslin cloth under the sun for 1 or 2 days or about 7 to 8 hours in the sun. (for better drying some people turn the chips upside down for better, but personally, I and my Mom doesn’t do it because the chips get dried on its own if it gets proper sunlight)
- Once completely dried store them in airtight plastic or steel containers.
- Deep fry the potato chips.
- Sprinkle some red chili flakes and black salt.
- Serve them along with hot tea or coffee after deep frying.
My Recommended Product:
In order to make this recipe, you would need a slicer, so I have listed two types of product (slicer) which I have been using for a long time. If you are looking for one then you might want to check out these products from Amazon.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a small commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. I am an independent blogger and the reviews are done based on my own opinions. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
- Large unbreakable container with rubber grip base which holds the device firmly in place
- Fastest, safest and easiest way to chop or dice fruits and vegetables ; Dishwasher Safe ; Other Features: Easy To Use, Clean and Store, Hand Operated, No Electricity Needed, Unbreakable ABS Plastic Body, Extra Sharp Stainless Steel Blades
- Advanced push to clean button which ensures easy and hygienic cleaning
- High-quality stainless steel blades for easy chopping, Sharp pyramid-shaped cutting blade for efficient and smooth cutting
- Large detachable container which can also be used to store vegetable and fruits in refrigerator. Pulse Enabled : No
- Made From High Quality Stainless Steel.
- Can be used to cut the salad slices potatoes onion Chips and all kinds of fruits and vegetables
- Easy to Use, Clean & Wash
Frequently Asked Questions About Potato ChipsRecipe:
What if we don’t get enough sunlight? Are there any other ways to dry them?
Yes, you can dry them in shade.
What potatoes are best for chips?
Chipsona and Kufri Surya Potatoes are good for potato chip making. These varieties have high dry matter and low reducing sugars. And always look for fresh, firm, and non-sprouted potatoes for making chips.
You Might Also want to Try:
Kannimanga Achar Recipe
Kadumanga Achar – How to make Instant Mango PickleCheck out this recipe
Aam ka Achaar Recipe
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.