Aam Ka Achaar Recipe is a tangy and spicy recipe made from raw mangoes that adds an extra taste to the meal. Aam ka Achaar is served as a side dish along with food in most Indian households.
It was a day before the Fifa World Cup Finals. There were 2 teams who were deserving finalists who were getting ready to fight it out for the World Cup.
India was not part of the Fifa World Cup, yet every Indian had chosen a country to support. After all, it was the spirit of the game that we were supporting.
Most of us in my house were supporting Croatia for the grit, courage and maturity they showed in spite of all the odds. We were very confident of them winning the World Cup. None of us had an iota of doubt.
So, it was the morning of Sunday and Dilip was browsing through the newspaper. There was this headline that Dilip read out loud, “Win or, Lose today, minnow Croatia has already won the bigger war”.
It was so strange. There was so much negativity in that headline. It appeared as if the decision was already made that Croatia will lose.
And even worse was the fact that we felt as if we were injected with some kind of a negativity inducing drug. Because we suddenly started to feel as if Croatia will lose the match.
The confidence of them being a very strong team suddenly disappeared. We felt that they weren’t as strong as their opposition and they had a high chance of losing.
And lose, they did. In spite of playing really well.
But the decision was made much before the game starts. Now imagine, if we were the Croatian team who read that headline. What would our thoughts be?
Newspapers are somehow full of negativity and they have learned the art of presenting even the most positive message in a very negative way.
Because it is this negative mindset that they create in us, the fear that they instill, the fear of losing which helps them sensationalize trivial issues and sell their copies.
How do we stay away from this?
A decision that I and Dilip took – Stay away from Newspapers and News Channels.
Let’s see how it works.
Aam ka Achaar Recipe
- 1 kg Mango
- 4 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 4 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 4 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tbsp Kasni Powder
- 4 tbsp Fennel Seeds lightly roasted and coarse ground
- 1 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds lightly roasted and coarse ground
- 2 tbsp Caraway Seeds
- 1 tbsp Nigella Seeds
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 250 gm Mustard Oil
- Wash and wipe dry the mangoes.
- Cut the mangoes in small cubes with skin.
- After that soak the mango pieces in water for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water and then place the washed and cut mangoes on a white sheet on the table and allow to dry in the afternoon sun for 1 or 2 days or you can also dry overnight or till fully dry. If you want you can keep the fan on.
- Now take a big bowl, add the mango pieces to it.
- Now add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add all the spice powders including the whole spices and give it a nice mix.
- Pour mustard oil and mix it well.
- Transfer the achar to a large, clean and dry jar.
- Close the jar tight and shake it well.
- Keep the jar in the sun every morning for 7-8 days, shake it well before keeping. Take it inside in the evening.
- This pickle will remain good for at least couple of years and does not need to be refrigerated.
- Mango pickle goes very well with Parathas, Roti, rice, Dalia, Khichdi etc.
Aam ka Achaar Recipe – How to Make Easy Mango Pickle Recipe at Home
This Aam ka Achar Recipe is my Mother’s special recipe made in a Bihari Style. This Achaar has a spicy, tangy and a unique flavor. The recipe for making mango pickle differs from state to state. In fact, many families have their own variation of making this pickle and passed from one generation to another.
In summer season when a lot of raw mangoes are available, most of the household make a whole year’s stock of mango pickle.
I love homemade pickle because homemade pickles are the best. So do try this recipe and let us know your thought by commenting below. You might also want to try some of the South Indian Pickle I tried and shared earlier…
MY PICKS FOR THIS RECIPE
[amazon_link asins=’B07DMQGP5C,B0787YXG59,B07DM9FPWK,B0784NH3SF,B07D161Q25,B079XYYWJ3′ template=’MyPicksTemplate’ store=’dksp-21′ marketplace=’IN’ link_id=’b0387d3a-8a57-11e8-bfc0-9dfaa6e34477′]
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.