Chutneys are a South Indian condiment typically served with south Indian breakfast foods such as idli and dosa. Learn how to make onion tomato chutney with (Step-by-Step-Guide)
About Onion Tomato Chutney
Onion tomato chutney recipe is a simple and easy chutney made with the regular ingredients that you can find in your kitchen.
In Indian cuisine, chutney is one of the most important categories. Chutneys can be made in a variety of ways. Among the many chutneys available nowadays, I have one easy and simple tomato chutney for you.
I’m sure a lot of people know how to make “Onion Tomato Chutney,” but there are a lot of different methods to make it. Each household may have its own recipe that is customized to its preferences and tastes.
Even I have four or five distinct tomato chutney recipes, and guess what? Each one tastes completely different and delicious. You can try this handy chutney with everything and it tastes just awesome.
If made properly then this chutney can be stored and consumed for long periods.
So let us jump straight onto the recipe and learn how to make onion tomato chutney with this easy method.
Why you should make this Recipe?
Chutney is a great way to add flavor and color to your dishes. It’s spicy and enhances the taste of food. Onion tomato chutney is one such dish that can be prepared with very few ingredients. But not many know how to make it at home. It is not very hard to make but you need to follow the right recipe to get the best out of it.
- Good spread to have on top of various dishes.
- It is also a good side dish when you want a little change.
- It is also a good topping for some dishes.
- The taste is so varied that you can pair it with most dishes.
- It is one of the most used condiments in the Indian household.
Looking for some more Chutney Recipe:
Chutneys are made to enhance the taste of idlis and dosas. Chutney has become an essential part of South Indian Cuisine. With chutney, one can make the idli more tasty, soft, and flavorful. You can try some more chutney recipes, mentioned below.
Basic Ingredients used to make this chutney:
To make onion tomato chutney we would need some very basic ingredients which are easily available at home. Also you can try to get gingelly oil, if possible to get a real authentic taste of the recipe. But in case you don’t get it, need not worry, you can either use coconut oil or normal vegetable oil to make this chutney.
Onion & Tomato: Onion and tomato are the key ingredients for this recipe. Pick juicy red tomato for this recipe so that you get a nice red color.
Whole dry red chili: I have used Kashmiri chili so that you get a nice color and less spice. But if you like spicy chutney then you can use normal red chili or you can also use chili powder.
Gingelly Oil: Prefer using gingerly oil, since this kind of chutney tastes good then. But if gingelly oil is not available, then you can use coconut oil or vegetable oil.
Others: We would also need mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, and salt.
The addition of mustard, curry leaves, and urad dal to onion tomato chutney takes it to a new level and adds aroma. So make sure you use them.
How to make Onion Tomato Chutney
- 6 nos Tomatoes chopped into medium size
- 4 nos Onion chopped into medium size
- 6 nos Red chilli
- 2 tsp Gingelly Oil
For the seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Urad dal
- Curry leaves few
- 2-3 tbsp Gingelly Oil
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan, saute red chillies for a few seconds and remove it from the pan.
- In the same pan, add onions and saute until onions are slightly brown.
- Now add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes become slightly mushy and let it cool.
- Once the mixture cools, grind it along with red chillies and salt as per required.(Do not grind to a smooth paste)
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal and curry leaves.
- Once dal turns golden brown, add the ground chutney to it. Mix well.
- Add salt and cook until oil separates and your chutney is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with dosa, idli, chapati, sandwich, paniyaram, upma, adai,etc.
You might also want to try:
Raw Mango Chutney Recipe – Aam ki Chutney
Coriander and Mint Chutney Recipe – How to Make Restaurant Style Hari Chutney
Gun Powder Chutney Recipe
A lot of time, effort, and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found it helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.