- Green gram dal (Moong dal), washed-1 cup
- Water-2 cups (300ml)
- Salt as per taste
- Turmeric powder-1 tsp
- Fresh Coconut, grated-½ cup
- Green chillies- 3
- Garlic (optional)-4 cloves
- Jeera-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-½ tsp
- Coconut oil/ oil-3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Fresh Coconut, grated-2 tbsp
- Curry leaves- a few
- Dry red chilli-2 broken
- Roast the moong dal in a dry kadai till golden brown, while stirring constantly. Remove from fire and wash.
- Now take a pressure cooker and cook dal by adding 2 cups of water,salt and turmeric powder.
- Cook in a low flame and after one whistle remove the cooker from fire and keep it a side.
- Grind grated coconut, green chillies, garlic and jeera finely in a blender, by adding little water.
- Add the ground mixture into the dal and boil for a minute, mixing everything together. Add more water if necessary to get a pouring consistency. Pour into a serving bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds ,when it splutters, add the 2 tbsp of grated coconut, curry leaves and red chilli. Saute till the coconut turns golden brown.
- Pour the seasoning over the dal and serve hot with Rice.