Bhelpuri is a combination of puffed rice, three different chutneys, sev, veggies, some Indian spices, etc. This recipe is super easy to make at home especially if you are ready with your prep work. In this post, I will tell you how to make bhelpuri chaat at home with an easiest method and tips and tricks. (step-by-step-recipe)
About Bhelpuri Chaat Recipe:
Bhelpuri is one of the most famous Street food chaat recipe in India, made with crispy puffed rice mixed with three green chutneys, veggies, and a few Indian spices.
When it comes to its history Bhelpuri is frequently associated with Mumbai beach snacks. And this is why Bombay bhelpuri is very famous.
If you venture out on the beaches of Mumbai or go to any Indian markets, you will find street vendors selling this popular snack on street carts along with other chaats like pani puri, Sev puri, jhal muri, etc.
However, the bhel puri recipe is also enjoyed in various other regions such as Delhi, Gujarat, Bengal, and Mangalore with each place having its own version of bhelpuri.
Just to give you an example, the Bengali bhelpuri recipe is known as jhalmuri while a native Mangalore variant is called churumuri.
Today’s Bhelpuri chaat is a mixture of sweetness, salt, and tanginess. This is so addictive that you just cannot stop at one bowl of bhelpuri served to you. It’s actually called wet (Geela bhel) because of the addition of three chutneys.
So, make bhel puri at home and enjoy it with your loved ones. Bombay bhelpuri or any bhel puri is best enjoyed when made and served immediately.
Bhelpuri can be served at tea time as an appetizer or as a light meal.
Why Should You Make this Recipe?
Can be enjoyed even, when you are dieting
Is a low-fat, nutritious, and delicious food
Perfect to enjoy in all your family get-togethers
Great for small hunger pangs in the evenings
Is a low-fat light snack
- Serve bhel puri as soon as you make it, as it tends to become soggy.
- Make sure you do all the prep work before assembling.
- Keep in mind that you mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients only when ready to serve.
- Adjust the chutney and spice powder as per your taste and preferences.
- You can even customize your recipe. As per your own choice you can add more veggies if you like.
Looking for Some More Recipes Like this?
If you love Bhelpuri and have already learnt how to make bhelpuri, I am sure you would also like to try other snack and street chaat recipes. I have listed here some of the best recipes you can make at home and give your tastebuds a tangy delight this weekend.
Super soft and fluffy Dahi Vada Recipe
Perfect Bihari Style Samosa Recipe
Basic Ingredients Used to Make this Recipe:
Puffed Rice/ Murmure: Puffed rice is the key ingredient of this recipe. Make sure that the puffed rice is perfectly crispy and not soggy. If the puffed rice is not crispy, dry roast and cool it completely before using.
Veggies: This recipe includes some onion, tomato, green chilies, coriander leaves, and some boiled potatoes. You may or may not include the potatoes in it.
Boiled Chickpeas: I have also added boiled chickpeas which is completely optional. If you want to skip, you can do so.
Chutneys: To make geela bhelpuri you would be needing 3 different types of chutneys, like green chutney, tamarind chutney, and red chili garlic chutney. If you have time then I would suggest making this chutney at home and then using them in your dishes as it tastes really good than the store-bought ones. And most importantly it brings a personal touch to the recipe.
Spice Powder: We have also added some everyday spice powders such as salt, red chili powder, and chaat masala, roasted cumin powder, black salt.
Mixture: I have also added some mixture to the bhelpuri, this is optional. You can also add roasted peanuts to increase the taste and nutritional value.
Nylon Sev: I have used some nylon sev here. In case of unavailability, you can add any other sev as per your choice.
How to Make Bhelpuri Chaat at Home
- 3 cups Puffed Rice
- 2 Boiled Potatoes peeled and slightly crushed
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 2 Green Chilies finely chopped
- 1 tsp Tamarind Chutney
- 1 tsp Green Chutney
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Garlic Chutney
- Coarsely crushed papdi handful
- 1 cup Nylon Sev
- 1/4 cup Mixture any mixture
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1/4 cup Boiled Chickpeas
- 1/2 cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Black Salt to taste
- Salt to taste
- Take a large bowl and mix the puffed rice, potato, tomato, onion, and green chilies in it.
- Add the tamarind chutney, garlic chili chutney and mint coriander chutney, papdi, mixture and sev ..
- Add coriander leaves and give it a nice mix. (you can even add all the chutney at last if you want a slightly crunchy bhelpuri, but since I like more off geela bhel, so I added it in the beginning).
- Add all the spice powder, black salt and boiled chickpeas and give it a nice mix.
- Garnish with some more sev and papdi.
- Serve and eat immediately, so that you enjoy the bhelpuri more.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is Bhelpuri a Healthy Snack?
Yes, bhel puri is a healthy recipe you can enjoy, even when you are dieting. Almost all the ingredients used in this bhel puri are healthy except tamarind chutney. Though I have added jaggery to the tamarind chutney which is healthier than the sugar. But you can skip adding tamarind chutney to bhelpuri or add just a little of it. You can even try dry bhel to avoid chutney.
How to Make Dry Bhelpuri Recipe?
Just exclude the chutneys from the recipe if you want to make bhel puris that are dry. Masala chana, toasted peanuts, and crumbled papdi are other options that you have.
My Recommended Product:
Are you looking for a Mixing bowl? Hereunder, I have listed a product, you might want to check. You can even check out my PAGE on Amazon, where you will find my favorite kitchen tools, Appliances, Accessories, and more HERE.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a small commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. I am an independent blogger and the reviews are done based on my own opinions. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
- Heat resistant up to 400 degrees Celsius
- Stackable for convenient storage
- Microwave, oven, dishwasher and freezer proof
- Gives your kitchen a modern and stylish look with 100-percent food grade and microwave safe, B.P.A free
- Package Contents : 1 Piece, Mixing Bowl High Borosilicate Glass (1500
You might also want to try:
In case you are Pakodas Lover then you might also want to check out some of the popular pakora recipes.
Paneer Pakoda Recipe
A lot of time, effort, and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found it helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.