Methi Paratha Recipe is a delicious paratha stuffed with besan and nutritious methi leaves, which makes it a terrific breakfast choice or dinner option. Learn how to make methi paratha in just 20 minutes.
About Methi Paratha:
Parathas are the most loved morning breakfast dish of North India. In North India, mainly in the state of Punjab, any kind of paratha is included in the daily breakfast menu.
The parathas have varieties like aloo paratha, sattu ka paratha, gur aur nariyal ka paratha, paneer paratha, and a lot more. Methi paratha is one of the recipes, people enjoy during the winter season due to the abundant availability of Methi leaves.
Each household has a different version of making paratha, like some will add chopped methi leaves directly in aata and make paratha, some will saute chopped methi leaves along with some spices and then do the stuffing. But the recipe I am sharing today is slightly different from the way generally people make it.
And I am sure. You are going to love this version of making methi paratha.
Because methi is used as a stuffing, these stuffed methi paranthas are quite unique. The sautéed greens are mixed with besan and flavored with lots of chopped garlic. Because the methi mixture is stuffed into the parathas, it contains more methi and has a stronger flavor of methi leaves.
This paratha is a wonderful experience for people who enjoy the delightful bitterness and powerful aroma of methi.
Why you should make this Recipe:
Methi paratha is something you must try in Winters when the tender green leaves are available in abundance. Methi paratha is beneficial to one’s health. It can boost our health due to the presence of Methi leaves in it. You must include it in your daily meals because it is high in iron. If you are somebody who do not like the bitter taste of methi leaves, then these parathas are a good way to include Methi in your meals.
You can eat these parathas for breakfast or lunch or, even dinner as these parathas are very soft and digestible. Methi leaves are considered very beneficial for the stomach, so Methi parathas are also good for your gut.
Methi Paranthas are –
- Packed with flavor and nutrition
- Healthier alternative to plain Paratha
- Rich in Iron
- Great for travel and lunch box
Looking for some more Paratha Recipe:
You might want to check out some of my favorite stuffed parathas. Hope you like them too. Let me know in the comment, which one is your favorite.
Basics Ingredients used to make this recipe:
Fenugreek Leaves: It goes without saying, methi leaves are the key ingredient for this recipe, use fresh methi leaves to get a good taste.
Besan: You can make methi ka paratha without besan, but I love making paratha this way, so do give it a try once.
Wheat Flour: To make the dough, we will use whole wheat flour.
Besan: For stuffing, I am using little Besan here, as it makes Paratha flaky and crispy.
Garlic: The stuffing is flavored with garlic, which brings a really nice flavor to the recipe.
Other Ingredients: Apart from these, this recipe uses salt, carom seeds, cumin seeds, and salt. Carom seeds and cumin seeds add a nice unique flavor to the parathas and also help indigestion.
Oil or Ghee: You can use either oil or ghee to roast the parathas and to make stuffing and knead the dough. Roasting parathas brings more crispiness to the paranthas.
Methi Paratha Recipe
Ingredients for mixture of methi:
- 250 gm Methi Leaves cleaned and chopped
- 10 cloves Garlic chopped
- 4 to 5 nos Green chillies chopped
- 5 tsp Besan
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for making the dough:
- 2 cup Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Oil or ghee Ghee
- 1 tsp Ajwain
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Whole wheat flour for rolling as needed
- Oil or ghee for roasting paratha as needed
How to knead Dough:
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients mentioned for kneading dough.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Now add water little by little and make a soft dough. Set aside for 30 minutes.
How to make Stuffing:
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium flame and add the cumin seeds/mustard,when it starts spluttering add chopped garlic and green chillies.
- When it is slightly brown add chopped methi to it and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Add 5 tsp besan and salt to taste and keep stirring for about 5 minutes. Once done let it cool down.
- Now make small uniform balls from the mixture and set aside.
How to make Paratha:
- Make small uniform balls out of the dough.
- Flatten it with your palm. Take a spoon full of the mixture and fill it into the flattened dough ball and then seal it from all sides.
- Roll it into small round chapattis on a rolling board.
- Preheat a tava and put the chapattis one at a time and apply ghee on both sides as you turn it.
- When there appears small brown patches on the parantha, remove it from the tava.
- Serve hot with any curry, vegetables, raita, dahi, sauce or, achar.
My Recommended Product:
Frequently asked question:
How do you clean Methi?
Soak the plucked leaves for 10 minutes in a bowl with adequate water, add little salt and turmeric.
Wash them 3 to 4 times to remove the dirt and pat dry them using a kitchen towel before using for your recipe.
Always chop the methi leaves after washing them thoroughly to preserve the nutrients in them.
How to store Methi Leaves?
Clean and wash the methi leaves and keep it for drying on the kitchen towel. Once it gets dry, wrap the leaves in the tissue paper and keep them in the box. Make sure you cover the leaves from top with the tissue paper. and keep in the refrigerator and it will stay fresh for about 4 to 5 days.
Are Methi Paratha healthy?
They are healthy since they are made mostly with whole wheat flour and a lot of methi leaves. However, if you are using oil and pan-fry, then it becomes less healthy.
I recommend using a little desi ghee when making these parathas. And in case you are more conscious you can even avoid ghee and simple dry roast the parantha’s.
You Might Also Want to Try:
A lot of time, effort, and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found it helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.