Mushroom and Spinach Quesadilla recipe is a combination of tortilla made with all-purpose flour, filled with onion, mushroom, and spinach coated with Indian spices and loaded with lots of cheese.
Quesadilla Recipe – with an Indian touch.
If someone had asked me about 4-5 years back on what a Quesadilla, Burrito, Taco etc. is, I would never have been able to answer them. Because though I had heard about these, I had never tried them.
Some foods have these heavy glamorous names that a lot of times, you just tend to feel something uneasy about them. But then, just like one shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, we shouldn’t judge a recipe by its name.
We started this food exploration journey a couple of years back when we decided that we will try out every recipe out there (till the time they are vegetarian).
Whenever we go out, we would try out something new and that’s how the Quesadillas and Burritos came into my life.
And strangely, when I tried them, I found it so similar to some of the Indian foods that I felt as if it was just another normal daily recipe. Just that it was given a Mexican flavor.
It is at this point that I felt like giving it a typical Indian touch and making it at home. Since then these Quesadillas became another friendly neighbor to my regular Dal-rotis and Dal-Rice recipes.
The best thing about these?
The only family member of mine who has the capability of finding a new excuse everyday (I feel at times, that she can write a book with a 10,001 excuses) for not having her portion of veggies and grains, can be easily fed any of these.
Though, when I do that I ensure that I am making it a little healthier like replacing all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour, reducing the cheese I would use, etc.
Mushroom and Spinach Quesadilla Recipe – Indian Style
Quesadilla is a Mexican dish, traditionally made with corn Tortilla filled primarily with cheese and some stuffings like meats, veggies, etc. Then it is grilled or pan-fried till the cheese melts and the tortilla gets a nice crunch from outside.
But since it came all the way from Mexico as our guest, and we Indians are known for our hospitality and we consider our guests by the guide of “athithi devo bhava”, I thought of giving an Indian color to our Mexican friend.
Quesadilla is again a highly customizable dish like burritos, where you can include a wide variety of filling and flavor of your choices.
This Mushroom and Spinach Quesadilla recipe is a combination of tortilla made with all-purpose flour, filled with onion, mushroom, and spinach coated with Indian spices and loaded with lots of cheese.
Quesadilla tastes best when served with mayonnaise, salsa, sauce or any dip.
Quesedilla is a great recipe for kids and great for a weekend meal.
This recipe is just a guide for you, so you can make any changes in the recipe as per your choice and the availability of Ingredients.
Quesadilla is a great way to use up leftover veggies too!
Infact, if you have leftover chapati at home, then simply assemble everything in place and you are ready to go!
You can always replace maida with wheat flour and to make it a little more healthy, you can minimize the usage of cheese or you can use low-fat cheese in it or even make it without that.
So go ahead and try this delicious ” Homemade Quesadilla Recipe” and do not forget to share your experience with us.
We would love to hear from you. 🙂
Mushroom and Spinach Quesadilla Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour maida
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- 2 cup Mushroom chopped
- 2 nos Onion medium size, finely chopped
- 2 cup Spinach chopped
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- Mozarella Cheese as required
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Salt to taste
How to Mix Dough
- In a large bowl mix, maida, oil, and salt. Mix well.
- Now add water little by little and form a dough. Cover the dough with a wet cloth and set aside.
How to Make Tortilla
- Now, evenly divide the dough into 4 round chapati balls.
- Roll out the dough similar to chapati, and cook on a non- stick pan. Just cook for 1 min on each side. Cook all the tortillas and keep them aside.
How to Make Stuffing
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Add the sliced onions and cook them until they are lightly caramelized.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until tender for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add the spinach, and cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Now add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder. Mix everything well and fry until the raw smell of masala goes off.
- Remove from heat.
How to Assemble
- First, divide the vegetables into two equal portions. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a grill pan or on normal tawa.
- Take a thin tortilla and spread some cheese and top it up with filling.
- Again put one layer of cheese and put the second tortilla on top and press it to make it stick.
- Add a few more drops of melted butter while pressing gently. (pressing will help the quesadilla stick together and should be easier to flip it over).
- Cook until both sides are nice and crispy golden brown and the cheese starts to melt.
- Now gently put the quesadilla on a cutting board and cut into 4 (more or less) slices using a pizza cutter or knife. (you can simply cut it like pizza wedges).
- Serve hot along with salsa, mayonnaise, or hot and sweet tomato ketchup and enjoy!!!
- 27L Capacity: Suitable for families with 3 to 4 members ;Power + Innovation 900 Watts of High Power for Fast, Even Cooking and Delicious Results
- Microwave Controls 101 Preset Auto Cook Menu Items, Glass Turntable; Warranty: 1 year on Product
- Compact Design: This countertop microwave with glass turntable is compact, allowing you to devote less space to electronics and more to interior capacity.
- Control: Touch Key Pad (Membrane) is sensitive to touch and easy to clean
- Magic Grill: Two Way Heating for Faster Cooking
You Might Also Want to Try:
Salsa Recipe for Nachos
A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.