The Indian Style Vegetarian Burrito Recipe is a complete and wholesome meal on its own, stuffed with kidney beans, vegetable paneer rice, sour cream, salsa, and some salads (Step by Step photos with detailed instructions).
About Vegetarian Burrito Recipe:
I am sure the first question that would have come to your mind is what is this Indian Style Vegetarian Burrito recipe and how can a Burrito recipe be Indian.
Let me explain…
Since I am strictly vegetarian, my recipes are bound to be vegetarian recipes. So this Burrito recipe is not the authentic Mexican recipe that it should be.
Instead what I am doing is, giving it an Indian touch by using some custom ingredients.
In this recipe here, I used all-purpose flour so that the recipe looks good. But I usually use wheat flour in all of these recipes.
That way it is healthy and at the same time has the fast-food flavor as well.
You would have seen that these days I am a little obsessed with fast foods and there is a reason for it.
Just like a lot of moms out there, I too have had a lot of difficulty feeding my daughter. When she was small, I would find different ways of feeding her.
But these days, things have changed again.
My daughter is 10 years old and she likes everything that doesn’t include rice and vegetables.
I have been thinking of a way to ensure that her food intake has enough veggies in it. That’s when I found her obsession to fast food.
And there stemmed this thought of doing something with these recipes.
My experience with this food has been through some of the fast-food chains like Taco Bell. Because of my inquisitiveness with exploring recipes, I usually dissect these recipes to find out what they are made of and how.
With all of that experience, I thought of an experiment.
Creating an Indianized version of these fast food recipes that is what you have been seeing over the last few weeks.
Now, let’s learn how to make Burrito Recipe at home.
If you look at the Burrito recipe and dissect it, you will find that it is a simple recipe with a tortilla (Indian Roti) wrapping a mixture of vegetables, a semi-solid curry, and some rice.
With that framework for the Burrito Recipe in place, you are now free to use whatever ingredients you like till the time you are not too inclined to make an authentic Mexican dish.
Another choice that you can make is the usage of sauces. That’s again something you can replace. I would even prefer making a simple think gravy that is not a lot spicy and using that for the filling.
Since we use sour cream the filling anyways isn’t very spicy.
Now again, when it comes to sour cream, I don’t worry if I don’t have it at home. I used a custom-made version of thick curd and that works for me. You can see me using this recipe here too.
The only trick in this Burrito recipe is the process of wrapping it. While I am not perfect in that, my only objective was to ensure that it is wrapped well with none of the ingredients oozing out.
If you want to see how to wrap a perfect Burrito recipe, you can check out this video.
And once all of that is done, comes the fun part – feeding it to your kids.
My daughter was so impressed with it that she constantly pesters me to make it regularly. Now imagine this is the same girl who wouldn’t have eaten any of the ingredients in this if I had given it to her in some other form.
Why you should Make this Recipe?
There are multiple reasons why you should make this recipe and what entices you will depend upon what your choice of food is. It can be eating healthy or, even satiating your taste buds.
But here are a few reasons that I think you should Veg Burrito at Home.
- Easy to make at home
- A complete meal
- It’s yum!!!
Looking for some more Fusion Mexican Recipes?
If you are looking for some more Fusion Mexican Recipes (Is there really a term like that?.. anyways), then you would enjoy these experiments of mine.
Basic Ingredients used to make Indian Style Vegetarian Burrito Recipe:
Tortilla – You can use store-bought Tortilla to keep this recipe simple and as a time saver. But I am making this recipe from scratch and hence am making tortillas too, with just a few ingredients.
Refried Beans – I have used pinto beans also known as “Chitri-waale Rajma” in India, to make refried beans. However, kidney beans, black beans, or white navy beans also work well. If you want you can also buy refried beans from Amazon.
Sour Cream – I prepared sour cream using thick curd and gave a little twist by adding a few interesting ingredients? If you want you can use a store-bought one.
Rice Mix – The next most important part is the rice mix, a mixture of cooked rice, paneer, and some veggies. Again, you can use veggies of your choice.
Salsa – Something I prepared using some fresh ingredients which give this recipe a completely fresh flavor.
And at last, an addition of cheese gives this a finishing touch. So here I have used Mozzarella Cheese.
The best part of this recipe is that it is highly customizable. You can use any kind of filling of your choice. And to keep this recipe a little simpler you can use some store-bought ingredients, like a tortilla, sour cream, refried beans, etc.
How to Make Burrito Recipe?
- 2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 tbsp Butter melted
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 4 tsp Milk
- 2/3 cup Warm Water or, as needed
- 3 cup Rice cooked
- 1/4 cup Paneer chopped
- 1/4 cup Capsicum chopped
- 1/4 cup Carrot chopped
- 1/4 cup Beans chopped
- 1/4 cup Green Peas
- 1/4 cup Sweet Corn
- 1 tsp Roasted Jeera Powder
- 1 tbsp Whole Dry Red Chilli roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Oil/butter
- Salt to taste
For Refried Beans
- 250 gm Rajma
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Onion medium, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger crushed
- 1/4 cup Sauce
- 1/8 cup Chili Sauce
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
For Sour Cream
- 2 cup Thick Curd
- 1 tsp Oregano Seasoning
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice or to taste
- 1/4 cup Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 nos Onion medium (finely chopped)
- 2 nos Tomato medium (finely chopped)
- 2 nos Green Chili finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
- Mozzarella Cheese grated, as needed
- Chilli Flakes as needed
- Tomato sliced, as needed
- Onion sliced, as needed
- Butter to roast burritos, as needed
How to Make Tortilla
- In a Mixing Bowl, add all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, butter and milk. Mix everything well.
- Add warm water little by little and start kneading.
- Knead it for about 10 minutes and let it rest for minimum 1/2 an hour.
- Cover the dough with a wet cloth.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal sizes.
- Now take one part and roll it.
- Heat a flat pan and cook the base from both the sides. (use flat tawa to cook, but if you don’t have you can use normal Tawa also)
- Follow the same process to make rest of the tortilla.
How to Make Rice
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add garlic and chopped dry red chili. Saute for a few seconds.
- Now add all the veggies one by one and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add paneer to it and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add cumin powder and salt and give it a nice mix.
- Now add rice to it and mix everything well.
- Cook for another few minutes and switch off the flame. Set aside.
How to Make Refried Beans
- Heat oil in a pan, and add cumin seeds to it.
- Once the seeds start spluttering, add onion and ginger to it.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add rajma to it and give it a nice mix.
- Add hot and sweet tomato sauce, chili sauce, and salt to it. Mix everything well. (you can mash the rajma slightly)
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and switch off the flame. Set aside.
How to Make Sour Cream
- Take a bowl, add curd, oregano, chili flake, lemon juice, coriander leaves, and salt. Mix well. (you can also add 4 tbsp of fresh cream if available, that will give a more creamy texture to your sour cream)
- Keep this mixture in the fridge for an hour.
- How to Make Salsa
- In a bowl, add onion, tomato, green chili, coriander leaves, lemon juice, and salt. Mix everything well.
- Keep this mixture in the fridge until you are ready to assemble everything.
How to Assemble
- Place the tortillas on a plate and spread the rajma mixture on the lower part of the roti.
- Now add some rice on the same spot then some sour cream, some salsa, and onion tomato slices.
- Now add some grated cheese on to it.
- Sprinkle some chili flakes on to it.
- It's time to roll our burritos.
- To roll the burrito, first, fold the two sides inwards covering the filling.
- Then start rolling from the bottom towards the top, tightly pressing the fillings inward so that the wrap completely encloses the filling from all sides.
- Continue with remaining burritos.
- Now heat a grill pan or normal tawa.
- Keep one burrito wrap on to it.
- Rub little butter on all sides of the burrito.
- Cook from both sides until the burrito is golden brown.
- Cut the burritos in half and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions Vegetarian Burrito Recipe:
Are Vegetarian Burritos Healthy?
Yes absolutely. The rice is a good source of starchy carbohydrates, and beans are great – low in fat, packed with protein, and high in fiber. To make it more healthy, if you choose to use whole wheat wrap and some veggies then definitely you can call it a healthy recipe. Not only this if you avoid the cheese completelyyyy, then there you have a complete healthy recipe to try.
What is in a Traditional Mexican Burrito?
Traditional Mexican Burrito contains just refried beans, one type of meat, and maybe a sprinkling of cheese, while certain regions have been known to fill their wraps with potatoes, chorizo, grilled cactus, or roasted peppers.
You Might Also Want to Try:
Salsa Recipe for Nachos
Paneer Wrap Recipe
A lot of time, effort, and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found it helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.