With these step-by-step images and plenty of helpful recommendations, you can learn how to bake an easy recipe for whole wheat bread and that too with just a few basic baking ingredients available in your kitchen.
About Recipe for Whole Wheat Bread
Traditionally, bread is made with plain flour or maida, but this recipe uses whole wheat flour. Brown bread made with whole wheat flour or, chakki atta is a healthy option.
Nothing compares to freshly made bread, and my recipe makes lovely loaves, it rises tall and tastes buttery-soft.
It’s the most delicious and simple bread recipe you can ever make with just a few ingredients you have at home. This is a must-have recipe for any bread baker, but it’s also one that shouldn’t be missed.
Furthermore, these eggless whole wheat bread slices have air pockets, making them super soft and spongy.
This homemade bread can be enjoyed in so many ways. Because of its soft, pillow-like texture, it’s ideal for sandwiches too.
And it makes a lovely toast too! I like to spread some butter on top, sprinkle some sugar, or a smear of jam. And finally, a cup of hot ginger flavored tea. Mmmm, what more can you ask for?
Why you should Make this Recipe?
If you are someone who loves bread, then you must try this whole wheat, atta bread. Homemade bread is one of my all-time favorite foods. To get you through the day, nothing beats a warm slice of fresh bread with a generous dollop of butter on top; you’ll adore it.
One of the advantages of making whole wheat bread at home is the knowledge of exactly what ingredients goes into it.
- It helps you plan ahead of time
- You can save Money
- Ideal for Breakfast
- Simple to make
Benefits of Eating Whole Wheat Bread
- Whole wheat bread has fewer calories than white bread. So you don’t have to worry about going over your calorie limit if you have one extra piece.
- Whole wheat bread is high in fiber. Apart from that, fiber makes you feel full, which helps you eat less.
- Whole wheat bread is very easy to make and really simple to include in your diet.
- It can help you stay energized all day.
Looking for some more Baked Recipes?
Baking at home is fun, especially when you see your baked products rising up in the oven. So check out two more recipes, I love to bake more often.
Basic Ingredients used to make Aata Bread Recipe:
Whole wheat flour: Today I have used whole wheat flour for this recipe, but if you want you can use all-purpose flour as well.
Milk: You’ll need fat in the dough to make soft bread. The addition of milk in this recipe gives a fantastic texture.
Yeast: I have used Instant dry yeast for this bread, but you can use active dry yeast as well.
Sugar: Sugar feeds the yeast, increases its activity, and softens the dough.
Milk Powder: I have used milk powder in this recipe which helps in softening any bread.
Butter: I have used butter in bread, but you can also use vegetable oil or olive oil as well.
Salt: In order to make flavorful bread salt is much needed for this recipe.
Water: Water to knead the dough.
Recipe for Whole Wheat Bread
- 3 cups Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Warm Milk plus 2 tbsp extra
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp Yeast
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Milk powder Optional
- 2 tbsp Butter 1 tbsp for kneading the dough and 1 tbsp for greasing the tin and spreading on top of the baked bread
- 1 cup Water or as required
- In a bowl add warm milk and sugar.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, put yeast into the mixture and stir well.
- Leave it for about 3-4 minutes so that the yeast proofs.
- Once the yeast has proofed, add the flour, salt and milk powder to the yeast mixture.
- Mix the dough well.
- Then add water and knead the dough. Keep in mind that the dough has to be slightly sticky. If necessary add a little more water.
- Once you have partially kneaded the dough into a sticky texture, take it out on a platform and knead it by stretching and folding the dough.
- You can beat the dough onto the platform in between. This helps in getting softer breads.
- Keep kneading the dough for about 10 minutes until you see that the stickiness is gone and that the dough has become soft.
- Now add 1 tbsp of butter and knead the dough again for another 3-4 minutes.
- When the dough is done, make a ball out of it by folding it from the sides to the bottom.
- Grease a bowl with butter or, oil and place the dough in the bowl.
- Cover it and let it rest for about 1 hour until the dough doubles in size.
- After 1 hour, uncover the dough and Punch the dough to release the air. Take the dough out on a platform and gently mix it again. Don't knead it too much.
- Roll the dough out to a square shape, roughly the size of your bread tin.
- Fold it inwards from the top and the bottom.
- Then roll it from the sides.
- Gently pinch the joints to seal all the joints.
- Grease the bread tins with butter.
- Place the dough in the bread tin and gently press so that it fills the tin.
- Now cover it and let it rest for another hour.
- After one hour you will see that the dough has risen in the bread tin.
- Now brush some milk on the top of the dough.
- Preheat an oven at 190 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- Place the bread tins in the oven and bake it at about 190 degrees for about 35-40 minutes or, until you see the top becoming slightly brown.
- The baking time may vary depending upon your oven.
- Once done, take it out on a wire rack. Brush some butter on top and let it cool before slicing it.
- Enjoy your home made bread.
- Homemade bread doesn’t last quite as long as store-bought, and that’s because it doesn’t have all those same preservatives to keep it shelf-stable.
- Once this bread is completely cool, slip it into a plastic bag to keep it from drying out. Then keep it in the fridge. It should last for at least a week.
My Recommended Product:
Do you also feel lazy mixing dough, are you also looking for a gadget that can make your life easier. Then you might want to check out these two stand mixers from Inalsa. So here I am listing two products from Inalsa.
- The Kratos Inalsa Stand Mixer will take care of all your mixing needs. With this handy 1000W appliance, you can save time and effort. There’s a whisking cone, a dough hook, and a mixing beater included. Kratos is ideal for any event, thanks to its 5L stainless steel bowl capacity. Now you can easily beat, whisk, and mix!! Great for a small family.
- With Inalsa Professional Stand Mixer, it takes only two minutes to knead atta. Kneading dough for bread and other baked goods takes less than 15 minutes. There isn’t much noise. Cleaning the bowl is a breeze. With a powerful motor, this stand mixer is excellent. There’s no need to spend a lot of money on a costly foreign stand mixer. This one will suffice for the needs of an Indian household. This is a really useful tool during these pandemic days when home assistance is needed.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a small commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. I am an independent blogger and the reviews are done based on my own opinions. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
Frequently Asked Questions about Recipe for Whole Wheat Bread:
Is whole wheat bread healthier than white bread?
Because it has more fiber and fewer calories, whole wheat bread is usually a better option than white bread.
Is it OK to eat whole wheat bread every day?
Bread can be eaten every day if you limit yourself to no more than 2-3 regular-sized slices. As a result, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t enjoy it on a daily basis. But then if it doesn’t suit you, you can avoid eating on daily basis.
Can we use honey instead of sugar?
I never use honey in any of my baking recipes. According to Ayurveda honey should not be heated.
Why does my whole wheat bread not rise?
It could be because of two reasons. Firstly, because you over kneaded the dough and secondly, because the yeast is not good. In 90% of the cases, it is because the yeast is not good.
How can you tell if yeast is good?
To test if your yeast is still active, combine 1 teaspoon sugar with 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast (one packet) in 1/4 cup warm water. After that, wait ten minutes. The yeast is still good if the mixture bubbles and creates a yeasty fragrance.
What can be used instead of yeast?
You can use Baking powder, baking soda, and sourdough starters as substitutes. You can read more about the same here.
You Might Also want to Try:
A lot of time, effort, and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.