Roasted Ghee Banana is made of Plantains which is also called as Nenthra Pazham or Ethakkai in South India. This banana tastes really great when it is overripe.
It is used as a vegetable and a fruit as well. Some of the recipes using the raw plantain tastes extremely good.
Plantains can be used for cooking at any stage of ripeness, and ripe plantain can be eaten raw. As the plantain ripens, it becomes sweeter and its color changes from green to yellow to black, just like bananas. Green plantains are firm and starchy, and resemble potatoes in flavor. Yellow plantains are softer and starchy, but sweet. Extremely ripe plantains have softer, deep yellow pulp that is much sweeter than the earlier stages of ripeness.
Plantains in the yellow to black stages can be used in sweet dishes. Steam-cooked plantains are considered a nutritious food for infants and the elderly. A ripe plantain is used as food for infants at weaning; it is mashed with a pinch of salt. The sap from both the fruit peel and the entire plant can stain clothing and hands, and can be very difficult to remove. As per Wikipedia.
Ripe Plantains : 1 or (as many as you want to roast)
Ghee or unsalted butter for roasting – as per required
- Cut each plantain into halves and then cut each piece into thin slices.
- Now heat a pan over low heat and grease it with sufficient ghee or butter.
- Place the banana slices onto the tava and roast until that side of banana slices turns golden brown and then flip it over.(you can roast as many slices as required depending on the size of your tava)
- Now roast the other side of banana also till golden brown.(If required you can add more ghee or butter once you turn the banana slices)
- Remove the roasted ghee banana from tava.
- Serve hot or cold.
- You can also serve this roasted ghee banana along with an Ice-cream or as a desserts.
Since these kind of banana, already has a sweet taste so you would not want to add sugar to it. But if for some reason you don’t get plantain you could use any other banana and add sugar to it.
You can cut banana in any shape or size as per your wish.