Bhalla Papdi Chaat Recipe is a famous North Indian fast food or street food. This is served almost all across India. Most of the time you would find people gathering nearby roadside food vendors serving these kinds of mouth-watering recipes.
So if you are in the mood of having some kind of chaat item that is quick and easy to make then try this Bhalla papdi chaat . I am sure you are going to love this.
About Dahi Bhalla Papdi Chaat:
This popular Indian street food dish is a delicious combination of crispy papdi (crackers), tangy tamarind chutney, creamy yogurt, and spicy green chutney, all topped with soft and fluffy dahi bhallas (lentil dumplings).
The origin of dahi bhalla papdi chaat can be traced back to the northern Indian city of Delhi, where it is a staple of street food vendors and food stalls. Over the years, the dish has become popular across the country, and can now be found in restaurants and homes throughout India.
Deep-fried lentil dumplings called “Dahi Bhalla” are pressed after being soaked in water to make a snack that is extremely soft and melts in your mouth. Bhalle papdi chaat is made by combining the bhallas with flaky, crisp papdi, chutneys, spices, and chilled curd.
With the dash of chutneys, spices, and the coolness of yogurt, it is extremely mouthwatering. And the best part is that the Crispiness and softness are nicely contrasted in bhallas and papdi. So if you want to enjoy Dahi Papdi Chaat and Dahi Bhalla in just one dish then you can go for this Bhalle papdi chaat. Just make sure that you don’t miss on just one key ingredient, sweetened chilled curd. Add more and more of it and it tastes just heavenly. Mmmmm
Making bhalle papdi chaat would be really easy to make if you have papdis available at home, I have shared a homemade papdi recipe before, you might want to check it out here.
You can even check out my post on green chutney, red chutney, and tamarind chutney.
You can make and serve dahi bhalla chaat recipe as an appetizer or a snack.
Why You Should Make this Recipe?
Dahi bhalla papdi chaat isn’t just delicious – it’s also a great way to explore the flavors and ingredients of Indian cuisine.
The dish features a wide range of traditional spices and ingredients, from cumin and coriander to tamarind and mint, and it’s a great way to introduce your taste buds to the diverse and delicious tastes of India.
So, whether you’re a seasoned foodie or a curious novice, I highly recommend giving dahi bhalla papdi chaat a try. With its combination of crispy, creamy, and spicy flavors, it’s sure to be a hit at your next dinner party or family gathering.
- If you are fond of chaat
- It’s such a fun and flavorful dish to make.
- The combination of textures and flavors is truly irresistible
- The crispy papdi, creamy yogurt, and spicy chutneys come together to create a taste sensation that’s hard to beat.
- Easy to assemble if the prep works are done well in advance
- Easily customizable
Looking for Some More Recipe Like this?
- Bhel Puri Recipe
- Dahi Papdi Chaat Recipe
- Dahi Vada Recipe
Basic Ingredients Required to Make this Recipe:
Vada: The soft and fluffy dahi bhallas add a savory element to the dish. To make the Bhalle papdi chaat, you really need super soft vada and to make vada you would be needing urad dal, you can use either split urad dal or whole urad dal without chilka wala.
Papdi: The crispy papdi provides a crunchy texture, I have used homemade papdis, which works great for this recipe. You can check out my papdi recipe here. You can use store-bought papdi instead of making them from scratch.
Curd: Curd helps to balance out the flavors. For dahi Bhalla chaat, thick, creamy curd works well. Ensure that the curd is thick and fresh.
Spices: A number of spices are used in this dish to perfectly balance the chaat. Like I have used roasted cumin powder, red chili powder and chaat masala powder.
If you don’t have chaat masala, you can use a combination of cumin, coriander, and amchur to achieve a similar flavor. However, keep in mind that these substitutions will alter the flavor and texture of the dish, so it may not be exactly the same as the original recipe.
However, keep in mind that these substitutions will alter the flavor and texture of the dish, so it may not be exactly the same as the original recipe.
Chutneys: To spice up the dahi Bhalla chaat, you can use any chutney for chaat. I have used green chutney, red chutney, and imli ki chutney.
Others: You will also need black salt, salt, red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, onions, and chaat masala powder.
Dahi Bhalla Papdi Chaat Recipe
Ingredients To make Bhalla
- 1 cup Black Gram Dal/urad dal soaked for 4 hrs
- 1 tbsp Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- Salt as per needed
- Oil to deep fry
Ingredients to make Bhalla Papdi Chaat:
- 8 Bhalla
- 12 Papdi Crisp can buy from store
- 3 cups Curd whisked
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Sugar powdered Sugar
- 2 Potatoes medium (boiled and chopped)
- 1/2 cup Chickpeas boiled
- 1/4 cup Green chutney
- 1/4 cup Dates and tamarind chutney
- 1 tsp Roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Chaat masala or as per the taste
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder as per the taste
- 2 tbsp Fresh coriander leaves
- Sev as needed
- 2 tbsp Pomegranate
Method to make Bhalla :
- Grind the blackgram dal with salt and ginger paste with very less water to get a smooth batter.
- Heat oil and fry small balls of the batter till golden brown.
- Immediately put them in a bowl of luke warm water and let it soak for five minutes.
- Squeeze excess water from each bhalla and keep it aside.
Method to make Bhalla Papdi Chaat :
- Add salt and sugar to yogurt and whisk till smooth.
- Keep it in the refrigerator till use.
- Arrange the papdis on a plate.
- Place bhallas and some potatoes on each papdi.
- Over that put some boiled chickpeas.
- Cover with chilled yogurt.
- Pour a little green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney.
- Sprinkle a little cumin powder, chaat masala, red chilli powder and salt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, sev and pomegranate seeds and serve immediately.
some people like sweet chutney some doesn’t. So you adjust the ingredients according to your preference.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dahi Bhalla Papdi Chaat Recipe:
Can we use store-bought papdis for this recipe?
Yes, you can. But to get the best result, I would recommend you use homemade papdi, for which I have shared the recipe before. And in case you are short of time, then you can go for the store-bought papdis.
Can we make use of unsweetened curd to make papdi chaat?
Of course, you can, but I would advise using sweetened curd for this recipe as that goes really well with this recipe.
My Recommended Product:
Are you looking for a beautiful chaat plate to make this recipe? Hereunder, I have listed a product, you might want to check. You can even check out my PAGE on Amazon, where you will find my favorite kitchen tools, Appliances, Accessories, and more HERE.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a small commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. I am an independent blogger and the reviews are done based on my own opinions. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
- SAFE & DURABLE - Made of organic wheat straw fiber, these sustainable and reusable snack plates from Irida Naturals are non-toxic, 100% BPA free, lead-free, and cut-resistant which makes them environment friendly.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & UNBREAKABLE - These superior quality plate sets are very light to hold, and the smooth round edges make you touch them with delight.
- MODERN, COLOURFUL, & STACKABLE DESIGN - Delicate traditional round shape paired with modern pastel colors is designed to brighten up your day just at a glance.
- MICROWAVE, FREEZER, & DISHWASHER SAFE - They are rugged plates that are easy to clean and can go straight from microwave to refrigerator to dishwasher.
- PERFECT SIZE FOR MULTIPLE USES - The set of 4 assorted color plates have 8 inches diameter and 650 ml capacity each which makes them ideal for snacks, salad, noodles, pasta, rice, ice cream, dessert, et
Looking for Some More Mouthwatering Recipes:
Papdi Chaat Recipe
How to Make Bhelpuri Chaat at Home
Aloo Chaat RecipeCheck out this recipe
A lot of time, effort, and passion goes into each post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you really liked this post and found it helpful to you, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment and share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all for your support.