“Looking for a simple and refreshing summer drink to beat the heat? Learn how to make buttermilk with our Curry Leaves Buttermilk Recipe. This delicious Indian drink, also known as chaas, is made with cooling curd and features the aromatic flavors of curry leaves and green chili.
Follow our easy-to-follow guide to learn how to make buttermilk that’s perfect for staying cool and hydrated during the summer months.” (step-by-step-recipe)
About Curry Leaves Buttermilk:
Curry leaves chaas is a refreshing and nutritious beverage made by blending curd with fresh curry leaves and green chilies. Originating in South India, this drink is believed to have been created as a way to beat the heat and aid digestion during the hot summer months.
Traditionally, chaas were made by churning yogurt or curd with water using a wooden whisk or a hand blender. This process created a frothy and light texture that was easy to digest.
The churning also helped to separate the butter from the yogurt, which was then used to make ghee, a type of clarified butter.
The buttermilk or chaas is then flavored with spices and herbs like cumin, coriander, curry leaves, mint, and ginger to create a delicious and refreshing beverage.
While modern blenders and mixers have made the process of making chaas easier, the traditional method of churning is still used in some households in rural areas of India.
To make this recipe, simply blend together the ingredients and serve chilled. This drink is perfect for serving as a refreshing accompaniment to spicy meals, or as a standalone beverage to cool down during the summer heat.
It is also a great way to incorporate the many health benefits of curry leaves into your diet, including aiding digestion, reducing inflammation, and boosting immunity. So next time you’re looking for a tasty and healthy way to cool down, give curry leaves chaas a try!
Why You Should Make This Recipe?
There are several reasons why you should make curry-leaves chaas, including:
- Nutritional benefits: Curry leaves are a rich source of vitamins A, B, C, and E, as well as minerals like calcium, iron, and phosphorus. Consuming curry leaves in buttermilk form can help provide these essential nutrients to the body.
- Digestive aid: The combination of probiotics in buttermilk and the digestive properties of curry leaves can help soothe the digestive system, reduce inflammation, and alleviate issues like bloating and constipation.
- Immune-boosting properties: The antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds found in curry leaves may help boost the immune system and protect against infections and illnesses.
- Cooling properties: Curry leaves buttermilk has cooling properties that can help to soothe the digestive system and reduce inflammation in the body. It is a popular beverage in India, particularly during the hot summer months when it is used to cool down the body.
Making and consuming curry leaves buttermilk can provide a range of health benefits, making it a great addition to your diet.
How to Make Buttermilk – Pro Tips:
Use fresh curry leaves: Fresh curry leaves have a more vibrant flavor and aroma than dried leaves. Make sure to use fresh curry leaves for the best results.
Blend the curry leaves: To extract the maximum flavor from the curry leaves, blend them along with buttermilk.
Use chilled buttermilk: Use chilled buttermilk to make a refreshing and cooling drink that is perfect for hot summer days.
Serve with ice and garnish: Serve the curry leaves buttermilk chilled with ice cubes and garnish with a sprig of fresh curry leaves for an added burst of flavor and aroma.
By following these pro tips, you can make a delicious and refreshing curry leaves buttermilk that is packed with flavor and nutrition.
Looking for Some more Recipes like this?
Basic Ingredients Used to Make this Recipe:
To make Curry Patta chaas you would be needing very few ingredients like,
- Curd/ yogurt: This is the main ingredient for making buttermilk. It provides a creamy texture and tangy flavor to the drink.
- Curry leaves: Fresh curry leaves are added to the buttermilk to get a distinct flavor and aroma to the drink.
- Green Chilli: Green chilies are often added to buttermilk for their flavor and nutritional benefits. However, the addition of green chilies to buttermilk is optional and can be adjusted to suit individual taste preferences.
- Water: Water is added to adjust the consistency of the buttermilk as per your preference.
- Salt: Salt is added to enhance the taste of the buttermilk and balance the sourness of the curd.
Optional ingredients include ginger, green chilies, cumin seeds, coriander leaves, and mint leaves, which can be added to enhance the flavor and nutrition of the buttermilk.
Butter milk – Namkeen Lassi
- 500 gms Curd – 500
- 2-3 Green Chilli cut into fine small pieces
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves 2 sprig
- Ice cubes
- Add curd, water, curry leaves, salt, and green chill. Whip everything well. (The ration of curd and water should be 2:1 (curd:water).
- Your butter milk is ready to be served. Add few icecubes in a glass and serve chilled.
Frequently Asked Questions about Curry Leaves Buttermilk:
What are the health benefits of curry leaves buttermilk?
Curry leaves buttermilk is packed with essential nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It aids digestion, boosts immunity, improves metabolism, and helps to keep the body cool during hot weather.
Can I add other spices or herbs to curry leaves buttermilk?
Yes, you can add other spices or herbs like cumin seeds, coriander leaves, mint leaves, or ginger to enhance the flavor and nutrition of the buttermilk.
How long can I store curry leaves buttermilk?
Curry leaves buttermilk is best consumed fresh. However, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Shake well before serving as the ingredients may settle at the bottom.
Can I use dried curry leaves instead of fresh ones?
While fresh curry leaves are preferred, you can use dried curry leaves as a substitute. However, the flavor and aroma of the buttermilk may not be as intense as that made with fresh curry leaves.
My Recommended Product:
“If you’re looking for a convenient way to make curry leaves buttermilk at home, I recommend trying out the below-mentioned product. This gadget allows you to blend together all the ingredients and create a perfectly smooth and frothy buttermilk in just a few minutes.
Please note that this recommendation is based on my personal experience and preferences, I encourage you to do your own research and choose a product that best suits your needs and budget.”
You Might Also Want to Try:
“Be sure to check out some of the delicious summer drinks, popular on the BLOG!!!
Mango Mastani Recipe
Punjabi Sweet LassiCheck out this recipe
Muskmelon Lassi – Cantaloupe-Yogurt Smoothie
If you like this Buttermilk recipe, we would love to hear from you!
Please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment below to let us know what you thought. Your feedback is invaluable in helping us improve our recipes and providing you with the best culinary experiences.
So, if you have any tips, suggestions, or variations you would like to share, please don’t hesitate to do so. And don’t forget to share the recipes on your favorite social network sites.