Papri Chaat is a mouth watering North Indian fast food.It can be found easily on the roadside food carts all over India.It is very delicious to eat and is considered as a great alternative to a meal by many.
For the papdi chaat
- Flat crisp papdis- 20 (crisp fried dough wafers)
- Curd/yoghurt- 250 gms (chilled)
- Potatoes-1 large potato(boiled and chopped)
- Boiled chickpeas- 2 cups
- Onion-1(finely chopped) optional
- Tomato-1(finely chopped) optional
- Coriander leaves- 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Mint and coriander chutney- 1 cup
- Tamarind dates chutney- 1 cup
- Red chili powder – as per taste
- Cumin powder- 1 tbsp
- Chaat masala- 2 tsp
- Black salt- 1-2 tsp
- Lime juice-1 tbsp (optional)
- Sev- 1 cup
For the spicy green mint and coriander chutney
- Mint leaves- 1 cup (chopped)Coriander leaves- 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Green chilli- 1 (chopped)
- Lemon juice-1-2 tsp
- Black salt
For the sweet tamarind dates chutney
- Tamarind -1/2 cup
- Dates- 1/2 cup (seedless)
- Jaggery- 1/2 cup
- Dry ginger powder- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Jeera powder- 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Water- 2 cups
- Black salt as per taste
Soak the chickpeas in enough water overnight ,then cook or pressure cook the chickpeas with water and salt till it is fully cooked and keep it aside.
How to make green mint coriander chutney:
Blend all the above ingredients with very little water to a smooth paste, and keep aside.
Making the sweet tamarind dates chutney:
- Boil the tamarind and dates in water.
- When they become soft add the jaggery and the spice powders and salt,cook till the jaggery melts.
- Switch off the burner and let the mixture cool.
- Grind the chutney mixture to a smooth paste.
- Seive the chutney through a strainer.
- Add more salt if needed.
- If the chutney becomes too thick add some water to make little watery.
Now we will start making papdi chaat:
- Arrange the papdis in a shallow bowl or plate.
- Top it up with chopped boiled potatoes and cooked chickpeas.
- Add chopped onions and tomatoes to it.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala.
- Top these with cold yogurt/curd as much as you like to.
- Top it up with the green chutney (as much as you want to).
- Now top it again with the sweet chutney as much as you want.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala, red chili powder, cumin powder and black salt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Sprinkle sev on top .
- Add a dash of lemon juice to the papdi chaat if you like and serve immediately.