Mango Phirni is a very tasty dish that has the aroma of mangoes and saffron in it. It is a very simple dish that can be made very quickly. This blog will show you how to make this dish with an easy-to-follow method (Step-by-Step-Recipe).
About Mango Phirni Recipe:
If you are looking for a delicious and refreshing Indian dessert, look no further than the mango phirni recipe! This dish is made with rice, milk, and mango puree, and it is absolutely heavenly. When all these ingredients come together, it makes a rich and creamy dessert that is absolutely delicious.
In this recipe, Mango puree is added to the prepared dessert, which brings a fruity twist.
Mango is abundant in the summer season. So it is a perfect dessert you should try during this summer season.
This dessert is very popular at weddings, festive occasions, or any special celebrations all across North India, especially in Punjab and Haryana.
Traditionally, Phirni is served in small earthen pots (bowls). The extra moisture is absorbed by the bowl, making the phirni even creamier and thicker. You can serve it in a regular serving dish if earthen or clay pots are not available.
Before serving, make sure to garnish the mango phirni with some sliced or chopped dry fruits, and rose petals. You can even top it up with some mango cubes.
I would recommend making phirni a few hours before serving since it tastes best when it is chilled.
Why You Should Make Mango Phirni Recipe?
There are several reasons why you should make mango phirni this Season.
- It is a very easy recipe to follow
- It is a healthy dessert option.
- The rice and milk in the recipe provide valuable nutrients, and the mango puree is full of vitamins and antioxidants
- Finally, mango phirni is simply delicious – it is a dessert that your whole family will love
- Stir the milk frequently as it is heated up to boiling to prevent burning at the bottom. Keep stirring at regular intervals, after adding the rice also.
- Make sure the rice grains are ground to a semi-fine granular consistency rather than very fine. The consistency should be similar to that of fine rava (sooji).
- In this Mango Phirni recipe, the quantity of condensed milk can be reduced if your mangoes are sweet enough. You can substitute the condensed milk with sugar or jaggery.
- The most important tip is to avoid mixing in the mango puree when the phirni is hot. Hence, make sure to cool the mango phirni before adding the mango pulp. This is just to prevent the phirni from crumbling.
Looking for some more Creamy & Delicious dessert recipes?
Basic Ingredients Used to Make Recipe of Mango Phirni:
Milk: Prefer using whole milk (full-fat milk) to get the rich and creamy phirni. You can make this recipe vegan and dairy-free, and for that, you can replace dairy milk with plant-based milk like almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, etc.
Rice: I prefer to use basmati rice, as it enhances the flavor of the recipe, but you can also opt for any flavorful white rice in case of unavailability.
Mango Puree: Choose the pulpy mango, not the fibrous one to get the best results.
Condensed Milk: I have used condensed milk for this recipe, you can opt for sugar also. But in case you want the creamier texture then prefer using condensed milk.
Saffron: Saffron soaked in milk gives the mango phirni dish a gorgeous yellow tint and a mild flavor.
Cardamom Powder: This is optional, but as always, the addition of cardamom powder into the dessert recipe, brings in a nice flavor. I am sure you too agree with me on this.
Nuts: Last but not the least, you can add nuts of your choice, but I would recommend, using pista and almond, since these nuts goes really well for Mango Phirni.
Mango Phirni Recipe
- 1 cup Mango Pulp
- 4 tbsp Basmati Rice raw
- 4 cups Milk full fat
- 3/4 cup Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder Elaichi
- 10-12 – Saffron strands
- 1/4 cup Pista chopped
- 1/4 cup Whole Almond chopped
- In a bowl add rice and soak it in water for half an hour.
- Drain the water and grind the rice coarsely.
- In a heavy bottom vessel, add milk and bring it to a boil.
- Once the milk has boiled, slowly add the ground rice and keep stirring so that no lump is formed.
- This stage is very important, so whisking is actually recommended.
- Now add few saffron strands and mix well.
- The milk will become porridge-like in consistency.
- At this stage add condensed milk and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Cook a few minutes more. Now you will see that the mixture has thickened completely. Turn the flame off and let it come to room temperature. Refrigerate the phirni for at least an hour.
- Now take it out from the fridge , add the Mango puree to the phirni and combine well.
- Add chopped almonds and pistachios and combine the Kesar Mango Phirni well.
- You can transfer the Kesar Mango Phirni to individual serving bowls or in a clay pots and refrigerate further till chill.
- Serve the Kesar Mango Phirni Recipe with additional saffron strands, almonds and pistachios.
- Do let me know how it turned out for you.
My Recommended Product:
Are you looking for a Nice Mixer Grinder for your kitchen? If yes then you might want to check out the below-mentioned product to make this recipe. You can even check out my PAGE on Amazon, where you will find my favorite kitchen tools, Appliances, Accessories, and more HERE.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a small commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. I am an independent blogger and the reviews are done based on my own opinions. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
Frequently Asked Question about Mango Phirni Recipe:
Which other rice can I use, instead of Basmati Rice?
Use plain white rice or any aromatic, non-sticky sort of rice for this phirni if you don’t have basmati rice.
Can we use sugar?
You can, indeed. For this recipe, you can even use palm sugar or jaggery. However, be careful to add this while phirni is just a little bit cold.
Can I prepare this Mango Phirni recipe with readymade mango pulp?
Yes, you can make this recipe with mango pulp. In this case, reduce the quantity of sugar. But to get an authentic taste, I would suggest using fresh mango pulp.
How to make vegan mango phirni?
First of all cook the ground rice in water, then add the sugar and stir till it dissolves. The almond milk should then be added gradually while continuing to whisk until a thick, creamy consistency is achieved. Finish by stirring in the mango puree as instructed in the recipe.
How can I store the phirni for long?
The phirni should be kept in the fridge for two to three days. Freeze it if you want to keep it for around a week.
You Might Also Want to Try:
If you’re searching for further desset recipes. Then you might want to take a look at some of the recipes listed below, which are some of my favorites. Please check them out and let me know which one you like.
We hope you enjoyed learning all about Mango Phirni Recipe! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the comments below. And be sure to try this recipe at home! And tag us on Instagram @thetastesofindia
Do you have a favorite summer drink? Let us know in the comments! Cheers!