Mango Shrikhand is an Indian dessert made with Mango, hung curd, and sugar. In this blog post, we will tell show you the recipe of mango shrikhand and everything you need to know about Mango Shrikhand- what it is, how to make it, and things to keep in mind while preparing it. (Step-by-Step-Recipe)
About Recipe of Mango Shrikhand:
Mango Shrikhand is a thick and creamy dessert made with hung curd (yogurt), mango puree, and sugar. It’s often eaten as a sweet snack but also used as a part of Indian desserts. It is a very popular dish in the state of Maharashtra and is often served as a part of weddings and other celebratory meals.
The best thing about Mango Shrikhand is that it is very easy to make and can be prepared in advance. It is a very delicious dessert that can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Now that you know all there is to Mango Shrikhand, let us take a look at how you can make it at home. The process is very simple and does not require any special skills or ingredients.
We are sure that once you try this recipe, you will add it to your list of favorites!
Why Should you Make this Recipe:
- This milk-based sweet is easy to make and can be made in advance and stored for a few days.
- This delicious mango dessert is a must-try summer dessert and is perfect for your summer parties.
- It is a healthy dessert that can be eaten in large quantities without any guilt.
- It is a perfect dessert for people who love mangoes but are on a diet because it has very few calories.
- Mango fruit is very nutrient-rich and contains high levels of vitamin A, B, and C, as well as dietary fiber, carbohydrates, and protein.
If you are planning to make Mango Shrikhand at home, here are a few things you need to keep in mind:
- Use ripe and juicy Mangoes for the best results. Alphonso Mangoes work great for this recipe but you can use any variety of Mango that is available to you.
- Hang the yogurt in a muslin cloth for at least four hours before using it. This will help remove excess water from the yogurt and make it more dense and creamy.
- Add sugar to the Mango Shrikhand according to your taste. If you want a less sweet version, you can add less sugar or even substitute it with honey.
- For a classic lunch option, serve aam shrikhand with puffed hot Poori.
- You can also serve this dessert as a sweet dish after your everyday Indian meals.
- This delicious mango shrikhand is also suitable for Vrat or fasting.
- You can even serve this with any Indian thali meal.
Basics Ingredients used to make Mango Shrikhand:
Curd: Thick curd is used in this recipe (hung curd). By hanging plain yogurt in a muslin fabric, you may thicken it. To get the best results, use full-fat yogurt.
Mango Puree: Prefer using homemade fresh mango puree (mango pulp) for this recipe. Use ripe, juicy, sweet mangoes with less fiber to prepare the fresh mango pulp. You can probably go for Kesar or Alphonso mangoes.
Saffron: Saffron strands are optional, but they give the shrikhand a wonderful color and aroma. You can soak them for 30 minutes in 2 tablespoons of warm milk before adding the milk to the chakka, or you can directly add to the chakka.
Recipe of Mango Shrikhand
- 500 gm Plain Curd
- 1/2 cup Mango Puree
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 pinch Saffron strands
- 1/4 cup Powdered sugar
- Keep a fine-mesh strainer over a large bowl and line the strainer with a muslin cloth.
- Transfer curd to the strainer.
- Gather the corners of the cloth and tie into a bundle.
- Put some weight on the cloth and leave it overnight or for 6-7 hours in the refrigerator, along with mesh strainer and bowl, so the water can completely drain out.
- The liquid will drip from the yogurt making it thick and creamy. The thick yogurt that is collected now is called CHAKKA. (You can either throw the liquid away or consume it. It is really nutritious.)
- Now transfer the thickened yogurt to a medium mixing bowl. Add mango puree, cardamom powder, saffron strands, and sugar to the bowl.
- Mix everything well using a wire whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Refrigerate the mango shrikhand for a few hours or for an hour, atleast. Garnish with dry fruits and nuts of your choice and serve chilled.
- Mango Shrikhand goes really well along with Poori. I love the combo of mango shrikhand, poori and chole. You can even serve this along with poori and aloo ki sabzi. Or you can even enjoy this shrikhand as a dessert.
My Recommended Product:
So today I’m going to list an item that I believe you’ll need if you want to make Mango Shrikhand.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a small commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. I am an independent blogger and the reviews are done based on my own opinions. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
- 3-piece wire whisk set includes 9-inch, 10-inch, and 11.5-inch sizes
- Popular balloon shape for optimal whipping; ideal for everyday use
- Comfortably contoured, solid-black handle ensures a secure hold Stainless steel wires and narrow shape are perfect for whisking in a small bowl or container
- Dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning
Frequently Asked Questions about Mango Shrikhand:
How long can I store Shrikhand?
You can store it in an airtight container or box, in the fridge for a week. Every time you take it from the jar, use a clean and dry spoon. After each usage, put the cap tightly.
How to make Mango Shrikhand using sour cream?
Just replace curd with sour cream, and keep the remaining recipe the same.
Will vegan Shrikhan work?
Of course, Why not? In cooking and baking, plant milk and yogurts can be used as a dairy alternative.
What are the good substitutes for refined sugar?
Sugar-free choices, coconut and brown sugar, pureed dates (not date syrup), and sugar-free options would all work well.
We hope you enjoyed this blog post and that it inspired you to try Mango Shrikhand at home. If you do, don’t forget to share a picture with us on Instagram! Till then, happy cooking! :)”